Which oil to lube paper shredder?

I have bottle of Fellowes "performance oil" which I probably bought on Amazon. It does seem to help after shredding a large batch.

Reply to
charles

Pretty standard thing to do - I have a bottle of shredder oil which lasts forever - weave a "Z" of it across a bit of A4 occasionally and shred that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

how thick is it?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Looks expensive. Fellowes Shredder Lubricant is a fiver from Amazon (plus £3.99 postage no doubt) - or £7.49 from Robert Dyas. The shredder only cost £15.

Reply to
Max Demian

Spray a sheet of A4 with WD40 and shred that, better than nothing, the genuine oil is quite thin FWICR.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There have been a few, but again never a response to any answers given to questions.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any light oil would do...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Rapeseed oil.

A_lurker

What a rip off! How about sunflower or corn oil?

Reply to
Max Demian

vegetable oils turn to sticky gums after a while. Not what you need.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would synthetic engine or gearbox oil be any good? Mineral oil tends to go gummy, so that wouldn't be OK. I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil (less messy than using the raw baby) and that works, but of course it's short-lived as the next sheets remove it.

Reply to
PeterC

Does castor oil? I've seen it recommended for rejuvinating leather boots (fill boot, wait until some oil is visible on outside, pour into t'other boot), so I'd assumed that it doesn't go gummy. I once had bearings that were supplied with vegetable oil - any that was spilt or ran out turned to a softish varnish that was a pig to remove.

Reply to
PeterC

All vegetable oils turn to a sticky gummy deposit in time. It's why cars no longer use castor oil. If you want a lubed screw to come out again later, use a petroleum derived oil. If you want it to glue in there forever, use a vegetable oil.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've just bought a bottle of this

It appears about the same consistency as 3 in 1, but that would not be a lot cheaper

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

About a 70:30 baby oil/water mix, according to the MSDS

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you saying the linked data sheet is inaccurate?

Reply to
Max Demian

Vegetable oils go gummy. Mineral oils go gummy. What about extra virgin?

Reply to
Max Demian

Where on earth did I say that?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The Fellowes oil turns to sticky gums after a while...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thank you - I'll e-mail my address.

Reply to