Which oil to lube paper shredder?

+1

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

TBH, didn't notice. I killfile HoH postings, but still see the followups.

Reply to
Huge

ROFL. Too true!

Isn't everything?

Reply to
Huge

Oil give it Foive.

The main problem with shredders seems to be that. A they get bunged up with paper dust. B. The oil goes ever so sticky and gunky, probably too much paper dust and heat! if you can clean it and be careful some have nylon gears, then use ordinary oil like you might use on bikes etc, nothing too gloopy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would have thought a lubricant would be nearer 100% oil.

Reply to
bert

Whatever happened to "Dampstart" or was it "wetstart"?

Reply to
bert

Or is renewable energy crap.

Reply to
bert

It's still there as "Easystart" on eBay

Reply to
charles

Bob Eager

(WD40)

Roll back the years to the late 70's and I was camping in Cornwall having a great time. One slightly damp morning a rather attractive couple of girls were having problems starting the engine of their MGB.

I popped across (as you would) with the WD40 got the car started. A pleasant conversation ensued between the three of us - only spoiled when my girlfriend, now wife, returned from the shop with the milk and bread she had purchased.

Reply to
Mark Allread

It's useful for things that just need a bit of 'slip' without being oily. I'll use it where there's a non-critical friction lock, e.g. clippers with extensible handles. At the end of the season the hedge trimmer gets a spray along the blade. It's always 'preserved' it 'til the following season.

Reply to
PeterC

That is a different type of product though, an ether based concoction that assists ignition inside an engines cylinder. There were other sprays around for ignition leads and distributor caps that supposedly sealed them with a coating that kept the moisture out. In reality it was better to stop wasting money and fit new leads when required. The advent of electronic ignition made a lot of these things less important. Talking of wonder cures, who buys Piston seal now? I see it is still available . did it ever work for anyone.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Huge

You can think of it as having two parts, a solvent/carrier and an oil. Both are hydrocarbons and even relatively light solvents have some lubricating properties.

Saying it is < 25% petroleum based oil just means that it is > 75% synthetics.

Reply to
newshound

I thought it had been re-branded?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's about 98% white spirit, petroleum based.

Reply to
tabbypurr