Which glazing putty to use?

Hi

Im trying to fix my wooden framed kitchen window, I removed the glass and the old putty and ordered some glazing putty from screwfix, the stuff in a tube. I started piping it onto the frame and noted it was very much like bath sealant and it was very messy to work with. Its done now but im not very happy with the results.

Generally my question is what should I be using to fix glass into a wooden window frame.

Thank you.

Reply to
Max

Linseed oil putty (and glazier's sprigs). For the procedure see any basic DIY manual, such as the Collins or the Reader's Digest. Don't forget to prime the rebate if you've exposed bare wood while hacking out the old putty.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks Andy, I have read the Readers Digest which I noted it said to use putty, but looking round the sheds I couldnt see any, only some stuff in caulking tubes have I missed it or is there some where special I need to go to buy linseed oil putty.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Max

You should be able to get linseed putty in all the sheds - look around the sealants/caulking area.

I will say though that although conventional linseed oil putty was good in its day, compared to the acrylic putty's and silicone sealants available now there is no contest.

Linseed oil putty dries out quite rapidly in comparison, and will crack and turn to powder if not maintained correctly.

I have used both the silicone and acrylic putty's, - the silicone variety is the best IMHO as it has the maximum flexibility and durability, the down side is that it cannot be successfully painted over so you need to select your colour carefully. Acrylic putty on the other hand is of similar consistency to conventional putty when applied, and can be painted. It will last far longer than linseed putty.

HTH

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bodgers

In message , Max writes

Agree with Chuck. The stuff you've used, probably an acrylic (so like bath sealer), should work well. Certainly I've found it lasts much longer than the ancient linseed oil stuff. You do need to practice a bit to get a nice finish with the acrylic, and after you've made your nice fillet, it does shrink and "dish" somewhat. TBH, on new frames with wooden beading, I don't use any putty at all, a mastic on a roll product called "Flexistrip" is far, far better.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Yes very helpful thank you Chuck, I have already fitted the glass using silicone putty from a tube and I have to say it just doesnt look or feel very secure, the old putty holding the pain in place was rock solid but the silicone feels like I could pull it off with my fingers.

I will redo it tomorrow with the linseed or Acrylic putty I just hope the silicone comes off without breaking the glass.

Thank you again. Max.

Reply to
Max

That's why acrylics are a big improvement. Rock solid = certain to crack and allow water in. The sprigs/pins secure the glass but the putty needs be flexible

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4505 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble