Which blade

Hi

I've got a basic table saw and have a choice of blades to fit: 20 teeth, 24 teeth and 40 teeth. I presume the 40 will cut finer for a given feed speed, are there any other pros/cons to the different teeth numbers? The blades look identical in other respects.

thanks, NT

Reply to
NT

20 teeth will rip quickly through wood when you're not worried about surface finish - but would cause serious chipping of the laminates on kitchen worktops etc. - where you need a much finer blade, but need to go more slowly.
Reply to
Roger Mills

NT wibbled on Monday 22 February 2010 12:19

Get the 40, unless you're chopping a lot of big timber, 40 will cut fast enough IME and will give a nice clean cut. I've just this very last week laid another wood floor using a 40 tooth blade in my sliding saw. With a little trick[1], it is possible to get zero splintering on the upper surface, which engineered wood is rather prone to doing, moreso IME than plain timber, which most of the time a 40 will do very nicely without further ado.

For the record, regarding a 40 TCT blade and vaneered materials: I slide the saw once over the piece cutting 2-3mm into the finished surface - this is guaranteed to be a clean cut. Stop the blade, move the piece 1/2mm left or right depending on which bit needs to finish clean, then restart the cut. No surface splintering on the top surface.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The 20 tpi is likely to be a ripping blade for natural timber, the 24 tpi is a general purpose blade and the 40 tpi fine cut for veneered/melamine faced chipboard etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

thanks everone. I'll be going with the 40.

NT

Reply to
NT