Where to find 'H' section extruded aluminium to join two sheets of 10mm board.

After a fruitless afternoon probably visiting all the wrong builders merchants I was unable to find a short length of 'H' section extruded aluminium strip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board. i.e. I want each sheet to slot into the 'H' for a join that doesn't show the gap between the boards and give me some support in the vertical alignment between sheets..

Can anybody tell me where I could get such an item?

Reply to
Tom

================================== This kind of section is commonly used for connecting plastic soffit boards but of course it's plastic, so won't be as strong as aluminium. Depending on the length (and weight) of your boards this might do for your job, if you can't find aluminium section.

You might also check in B&Q, who stock a range of metal tubes and extrusions.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Something like

even, if you really need to add stiffness, one of the heavier-duty types?

Wickes probably sell something similar, but perhaps only in pvc.

Reply to
Autolycus

At a (good) plumbers merchant or a builders merchant who sells Mermaid board or equivalent. Most plumbers merchants sell Mermaid or one of the other brands of cladding for showers and bathrooms. I know for certain that Ridgeons in the East Anglian region stock it and Grahams plumbers (part of the Jewson chain I think) certainly have it 'cos I've bought some recently.

-- Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

Would that be aluminium, or any metal for that matter?

I have been scouring the online stock metal suppliers but 'H' section seems to be a less common extrusion. I need metal because there is a heat source beneath the panels which will soften a plastic section.

Reply to
Tom

It's aluminium H-section specifically designed to fit the panelling. In the case of Grahams (although I think the Mermaid stuff is so similar as to be nearly identical) the panel is nominally 10.5mm and the gap in the H is nominally 11m. As is normal with this stuff the bit which goes at the back is wider than the bit at the front so you get a sort of lop-sided H which makes it easier to nail to the wall. It comes in 2.4m lengths to match the panel size. IIRC it's between =A37 and =A312 a strip.

Reply to
Calvin

Have a look at this stuff (first google that I found) but it's half that price in other places:

Calvin

It's aluminium H-section specifically designed to fit the panelling. In the case of Grahams (although I think the Mermaid stuff is so similar as to be nearly identical) the panel is nominally 10.5mm and the gap in the H is nominally 11m. As is normal with this stuff the bit which goes at the back is wider than the bit at the front so you get a sort of lop-sided H which makes it easier to nail to the wall. It comes in 2.4m lengths to match the panel size. IIRC it's between £7 and £12 a strip.

What about suspended ceiling fitters. Try Shop & Office re-fitters.

Reply to
John

extrudedaluminiumstrip which I need to join two sheets of 10mm ceiling board.

You should check out

It is a great resource for anythig Aluminium related.

Reply to
nickh

Reply to
boltmail