Where to buy TRV4 rad valves?

I'm planning on changing the remainder of my (old) rad valves to Drayton TRV4s. Googling shows up quite a wide range of prices, from under £12 on Ebay,

up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

Any recommendations of where to buy from? Are there cheapo imitation ones out there (eg the EBay ones) that need to be avoided - any obvious way of spotting them?

I need 6 of them (white, angled, 15mm), so getting a decent price is moderately important.

Thanks, David

Reply to
DavidM

> to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

't know you could get funky chrome ones!

david

Reply to
Vortex3

I wouldnt bother with the cheap ones, always go for a good quality one. I am just decorating a full house, and have taken all of the rads off, all but one of them is leaking from the thermo valves, some so bad that I have had to put a stop end on them to stop the leak. The only one not leaking is a Honeywell. They are around 5 years old I am told, cant remember the name on them, but I hadnt heard of them before. Leaking is not a problem if the rads are connected, but is a real pain when they are off, and shows the valve is not too good. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

You have fitted the decorators cap in place of the thermostatic head haven't you?!?

Reply to
Toby

No. This is an empty house, just bought by the owners, and it is bare, so nothing at all to fit. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

That may be why they are leaking then, as they do usually have frost protection when they are "off" but it may still let a small amount of water through because it is not actually off.

There was a case I read about at a plumbing school type place, where, in there training room, they left a load of radiators off with TRV's in the off position, but because it was winter, the training room got so cold the TRV's then opened themselves, as a frost protection, and flooded the room!

The decorators cap stops this happening, as it pushes the pin on the valve in, and will never let it go!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Try finding the buggers in a house that isn't empty, the owners deny all knowledge of ever having seen them. I've just changed all my rads to TRY's and kept the decorators caps in a safe place - I must be the only person in Medway who knows where theirs are.

Like Alan, I carry stop ends for rads.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Might the OP mean leaking - like onto the floor?

Reply to
John

Sorry - just read the thread again.

Reply to
John

I bought about 12 from Ebay over the last 2 years with no problems, including a couple of "chrome "ones whose looks I am not too keen on now.

Reply to
robert

You are probably one of the very few people in Medway (or anywhere else) that knows what they are.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

> to up to £25 at some plumbing suppliers.

There are genuine TRV4's available on Ebay for very much less than high street prices. I got mine off Ebay - all brand new and at a "Buy it now" fixed price rather than having to bid - and they are fine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks to all for the responses. I've now bought off Ebay (buy it now) at £12.50 each inc postage). Will add comment here when received and inspected. David.

Reply to
DavidM

OK, well they arrived yesterday, having bought them on Monday evening, so speedy delivery, and well packaged. All in individual boxes, with body, valve, rad tail, olives, nuts, and locking cap. All the markings seems to indicate they are genuine (but so what - I know). So far it seems a good buy.

DavidM

Yes, that's the genuine article.

Reply to
Roger Mills