A place to get some 1/4" pine planks?

I need to get some pine 1/4" thin planks preferably something wider (say

15mm to 20mm+) than the ones in B&Q and without the lips for turning it into flooring. Just simple straight edges. (within 50 mile of London area.)

Any ideas?

Reply to
News

Yes.

1) Any builders merchant

2) Any timber merchant

3) Any B&Q

You can buy pine timbers at 8 - 25mm thick, any width and any length...did you look in any of these places?

Reply to
Phil L

Makes you wonder Phillip since the sheds have opened up, some people don't know what a woodyard is for. :-)

Reply to
George

Any timber merchant should either have it, or prepare it for you from a thicker section.

Reply to
stuart noble

I wonder if the OP means 15 to 20 cm as this aligns more with the reference to flooring. If so then I'm not surprised he has not found 1/4" thick boards that wide. Even if they were prepared especially by a timber merchant then the stability would be very much in doubt. Depending on the application, a man made board might be a better solution perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Which wouldn't be the merchant's problem :-) Depending on their machinery, they might not fancy planing down to 1/4"

Reply to
stuart noble

Its not for flooring so warpage not a problem.

I have plyboard and mdf but need solid but thin planks for decorative work with natural looks.

Reply to
News

Handy to know if true - I only tried the local stores. Need 8mm thin planks - but as as I said 15cm to 20cm+ wide instead of the commonly available

Reply to
News

Yes I did mean 15cm to 20cm+ I finally see the mistake!!!

Doh!

Ooops! :-)

Reply to
News

Does it have to be pine?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be better if you gave the actual dimension you wanted? But (1/4") 6 x 25mm roughly is not really a plank - more a strip - and you will find something like that in B&Q, etc.

Dunno where you've seen the size you give in tongue and groove - and in any case something that thin would be cladding - not floorboards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd be far better using plywood for this. You'd need a high quality wood to be stable at this sort of size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, I think your best route would be to talk to a proper timber merchant about your application. You will likely need top grade knot free pine as planing down knots to 1/4" will almost certainly cause them to fall out either during planing or after the timber has been fitted. You are still likely to suffer from splits and shakes (or the wood is!). Try and get quarter sawn timber. This is where the growth rings run almost vertically across the 1/4" dimension and in any case stay away from the center of the tree and any sapwood (near the outside).

200mm is still very wide for this thickness and you might be best off edge gluing 3x 70 mm pieces together. You might be committed to a particular design but this is one of those "I would not do it this way if I were you" situations.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think you are probably correct. Its for that very same reason I haven't find easy stock item.

Reply to
News

Some equivalent light coloured easy to work with softwood OK

Reply to
News

Bass might do you then.

1/4" is available in certain lengths from SLEC UK..website still crap, but you could give them a call.

Or phone round local joiners who will be able to take stock sections and plane/thickness them for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The joke is my house is full of 1/4" or so solid wood panels much wider than the OP wants - all those panels in the doors etc. Dividers inside sash windows. Probably others I can't call to mind. The Victorians obviously had access to rather better wood than is the norm these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, interesting that. Chests of drawers had thin sections for bases before ply. ISTR fruitwood was often used for that.

Reply to
stuart noble

Rather that they didn't have plywood..

The panelled door is a natural response to needing a door that is reasonably light and low in timber content, and dimensionally stable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher