Where to buy double glazing sealed units only?

I need to replace a broken window and it would seem sensible to replace the glass with a double glazed sealed unit. The last extension to our house already has sealed units in similar (if not identical) wooden frames.

The glass is retained by glazing bars and there's lots of spare depth, it could accomodate a 1cm thick unit quite happily.

Where can one buy 'one off' made to measure sealed units? (if it works well and is easy to do I might well replace some more) I'm in South Suffolk if that's at all relevant.

I suspect I might be supposed to get building regulations approval to do this, or is replacing broken glass with something better OK?

Reply to
usenet

You can buy the units, prices vary. There is a place on J1 of the M60, that did some for me for less than a tenner.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Reglazing or repairing an existing window is outside B.Regs

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Any glazier will order one - but you'll probably have to pay first. Might be worth phoning a few for best price. You might get a better price from a local factory that makes them - if it's worth the hassle. They're not that much more expensive compared to decent plain glass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are in a listed building then not OK. If you are in a conservation area then it depends

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

It's very easy to get replacement DG units ... look under glazing in Yellow Pages ... In may area a company called "Glass Systems" make units at about

25% of the cost of going to a window/glazing company. They will make to your size ... and within reason to whatever thickness DG you want.

I see no reason to involve building control ...just get on with it, if your window is down to floor level then it will have to be safety glass.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No, we're not covered by anything like that. There are some planning regulations which mean we have to keep our houses 'in keeping' with the area but that basically means style of window frames, doors, rooves etc. As I'm not changing the frames or anything I won't be contravening anything on that front.

Reply to
usenet

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

So, no building control involvement.

I already did have a look in Yellow Pages but didn't see anything obvious, I'll try some phoning around tomorrow.

Reply to
usenet

Chris,

Not sure how far you want to travel, but I've had made-to-measure units from a small place in Rowhedge, just South-ish of Colchester. Looking at Yell, they appear to be called Essex Window Supplies, in Darkhouse Lane. They are in a small unit just off of the main quay road, on 01206 728352.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Cavie

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Look under Glass Merchants, cheaper than glaziers as it will be where

9/10 get theirs made up. You will buy without their margin.
Reply to
fred

there is a company in norwich called uniglaze2 they are very large and have a fleet of delivery vans/trucks they may deliver, another one in norwich is unit art glass (i think).

Reply to
jon ringwood

I can highly recommend

as a Norwich glazing supplier. Very pleasant and helpful and quite a bit cheaper than Uniglaze for the units we required.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Thanks, I'll note that down, Colchester is only a half-hour drive from us, we used to live there in Lexden.

Reply to
usenet

I got mine from A1 glass in Sudbury Chris

Reply to
David