removing double glazing sealed unit

Hi

I've foolishly bought a sofa that won't fit up my stairs, but would fit through the 1st floor window...if there wasn't any glass in it.

So, I need to removed the sealed glazing unit.

Is it just a matter of getting something sharpish between the beading and the frame and levering out the beading, or is there more to it than that.

Also, if this is what's required is there anything "special" about the procedure i.e. the order to remove the beading?

Also, as it's obviously quite a big unit, being >sofa sized, I guess I should hire a double suction holder thing?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
darsy

If you have modern windows the sealed units are usually fixed in the frame by four strips of upvc glazing beads on the indoor side of the frame. You should be able to release the beads by pushing a sharp broad-bladed wallpaper stripping knife or filler knife in to the gap between the bead and the frame, not the gap between the bead and the gasket/glass. Start in the middle of the longer bottom bead, then release the right and left beads, leaving the top bead till last so that the sealed unit is supported in the frame until you are ready to lift it down. Before removing the beads note which is the top, right, bottom and left bead so that you can replace them in the correct positions.

Reply to
Kosmo

ta.

Reply to
darsy

Hiya. On many DG frames, it is neccesary to remove the gasket on the room side of the window first, which allows the glass to move back and give room to remove the beads. HTH.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

There have been a number of postings recently saying how to remove sealed units from their frames -- look back on google.

One comment I'll add about such a large window. It's quite likely to be toughened glass. Be very careful when handling it. You only have to brush a corner against something hard like a concrete path or a brick wall and the whole thing will shatter. Their weight/momentun make them very fragile when out of the frame.

You might want to hire safety gauntlets too, particularly if it's not toughened glass.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The way I did mine and this was the advice of the window company I bought from, was to take hold of the rubber seal and remove it before trying to remove the beading. Makes things that much easier.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, that's how I removed my glass. I simply expermented since I had nothing to lose having replaced the aluminium double-glazing with a more sympathetic wooden sash. Now I have to think about what to do with the double-glazed units having thrown away the aluminium bits!

Maris

Reply to
Maris