Where to buy cheap chain - or alternatives?

I have found that a length of chain (actually some Screwfix 11098, 5mm x 28m x 11mm) works very well to hold down bird netting along one side of the bird cage protecting our vegetable plot.

It's expensive though (or at least it seems so to me) at £24.99 for a ten metre length.

I would like to use chain for the same job on another (older) fruit cage but at that price it would cost almost as much as the whole fruit cage cost originally.

Can anyone suggest either a cheap supplier of chain or suggest an alternative way of holding down the netting such that it can be easily lifted. I've tried strips of wood and metal rods but neither is amywhere near as good a solution as the chain.

Reply to
tinnews

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk formulated :

Electrical w/saler, ask for Jack Chain. Not sure whether they might still sell it, but it is/was galvanised and just made from steel bent into an S shape.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that! Yes, my local electrical wholesaler still sells Jack Chain, £3.42 for 10 meters. Thank you!

Reply to
tinnews

What a good idea! Thanks for that - too late for the recently built fruit cage but I hope I'll remember it for the future.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher