Screws - what do I need to buy?

I have made a temporary shed-like structure. Every year, it gets erected, used for around a week, then dismantled and stored away. It's made in sections.

I put it all together using my usual wood screws - Screwfix TurboGold. These work fine for the screws that stay put within the sections. However, they don't work very well for joining the sections together. The screw heads get buried in the wood, and then it's hard to dismantle. Quite often the screws remain buried even when the sections are unscrewed - with a nasty bit of very sharp screw thread sticking out.

I don't want to bolt it together, but I think something like pan-headed wood screws might be a lot easier to dismantle and remantle.

Can anyone recommend something suitable, please? I'd need a range of sizes from 1"-3". Sorry, I mean 25-75mm. Preferably something I can pick up at Screwfix or Toolstation, please.

I had a look, admittedly not terribly diligently, but all the pan-headed screws seem to be the nut-and-bolt type.

I could just use cup washers at a pinch, ofc.

Reply to
GB

I needed some roundhead woodscrews (for use with keyhole fixings) so bought some screwfix quicksilver ... soon reminded me of crappy old philips screws made of cheese compared to today's pozi hardened screws, I wouldn't expect the heads to survive repeated assembly/disassembly.

worth a try, or just penny washers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hex head screws and a washer, use a suitable socket in the drill/driver, no problems with screws sinking into the wood or screw slots getting damaged

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In message , Tricky Dicky writes

Joint connector bolts. Insert nut below.

Tim Lamb

I suggest roundhead posidrive screws with appropriate washers. The latter are likely to be something like 5mm x 25mm. After each dismantling accept that the screw heads are worn. Throw them away and use new screws throughout. 500 screws from a fixings company will cost less than 50 at a DIY shed. Also, buy a pack of at least ten appropriate size posi drive bits. Treat these as disposable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Your screw buying policy is screwed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Okay, the general advice is to use washers, then. Thanks.

I do throw the screws away, provided I can get them out!

Reply to
GB

F Murtz

They won't cover the whole of your range but Screwfix will do you coach screws in 50mm and 70mm. Less likely to end up with buggered heads. And, at least with with my butter-fingers, to drop washers.

Toolstation have some too though I've not used them

Reply to
Robin

Those are just the ticket, thanks! No messing around with washers, and as you say the heads should last a while, too.

Reply to
GB

Although I don't buy these items there - in Screwfix

Take a look at SPAX wirerox washer T-star screws These have a built in washer - rust proof and as they ar Torx fitting will enable easy power tool fitting & removal.

or an alternative is TimbaScrew Flange Timber Screws, these are Hex head fitting - zip them in with a hex driver in a drill.

Reply to
rick