Where to buy 46mm (1 3/16") column for drill?

I need a taller column for my pillar drill, it's 46mm diameter (which is maybe 1 3/16"). Does anyone have any idea where I might buy such a thing at not too silly a price?

Reply to
Chris Green

Which is the correct measurement, as 46mm = 1.811"?

1.811" would be about 1 13/16" (1.8125")
Reply to
Jeff Layman

I suspect it's 1 3/16" but what's a couple of thou between friends? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Isn't 1 3/16" 30mm?

It is more than a couple of thou'!

Reply to
Fredxx

Typo, sorry everyone, I meant 1 13/16"

Reply to
Chris Green

Give your local metal stockholders a call, or metals4u.

OOI somebody asked the same question on the model-engineer forum a while ago - the suggestion was "40 mm bore cold drawn hydraulic tube, as used for making 40 mm diameter hydraulic actuators (cylinders). So 40 mm bore, 3 mm wall thickness. ... If you can find a local company re-manufacturing hydraulic cylinders they'll likely have a scratched piece in the scrap bin."

TBH It might be simpler to treat yourself to a new drill press and to sell the current one.

Reply to
nothanks

Yes, my searches took me to that thread too, not very encouraging really.

Possibly, they're not very expensive.

Reply to
Chris Green

I have not seen anyone doing stock tube in that diameter which seems odd since you would expect a maker of such things would not want to get custom made tube or have to machine it unnecessarily.

Once trick you can do on some drills is to rotate the head on the pillar to the side, so that the headstock is at 90 or 180 degrees to the base. Then clamp the base to the workbench so it does not fall over!

That allows you to drill taller stuff that is longer than the headstock to base distance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I may decide to do something like that.

Reply to
Chris Green