Where can we find black shelving?

Anyone know where we can find some black shelving? We are after some lengths of shelving with a 'black ash' type look....yes, I know this went out with the 80's but it's to make an open book shelf to go with some other recently installed wall units we have put up. We've tried Homebase, Ikea etc, but to no avail. We were trying to avoid having to paint the shelving black as we think this may look rather naff!!

Thanks, Jo

Reply to
Jo

'recently installed wall units we have put up'......ooh, just realised...bad grammar, sorry. It's late and I need to go to bed.

Reply to
Jo

messagenews:45be80ec$0$8743$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Look for a dedicated panel supplier that sells to joiners, kitchen fitters etc.. They might have some of this and could cut and edge the panels into shelves. Gloss black or black granite style is used for kitchen worktops. I've also seen MDF shelves with satin black spray painted finish and it looked really well. Need to use sanding-sealer first, then primer then the satin black. I think gloss black would not look as good. Or you could try black sticky-back plastic, Blue Peter style. Al

Reply to
Al M

Have you tried B&Q? Certainly used to sell it there but maybe I'm thinking of the 80s too!

David

Reply to
Lobster

The simple answer might be to buy wood-veneer chipboard and use black stain on it. It looks just like black ash once varnished.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Called in this afternoon [1] and had a shufti - doesn't appear to be there anymore I'm afraid.

David

[1] Needed 2m of 22mm copper tube: £10.63!!! Holy moley - I knew there was a copper price crisis on, but jeez...
Reply to
Lobster