Wheelie Bin Compactors anyone?

Pushing does not really work over uneven ground...

Reply to
John Rumm

I would guess that part of the difficulty is the recycling facilities available vary with region, so the options change necessarily with region as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Our recycling scheme will take boxes with windows still in place...

Reply to
John Rumm

They try to avoid plastics as they can produce dioxins if the flue temp is wrong. You don't want dioxins in the environment with you. This is why you shouldn't just burn your own rubbish with plastics in.

Reply to
invalid

Do a Barry Bucknell, add some really big wheels, like the ones he put on his tea-trolley :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Aren't modern incinerators designed to run so hot that hardly a single carbon atom escapes unoxidised?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yup. Its not hard to decompose dioxins Just get it hot enough

The greater probvlem AIUI is not carbon and hydrogen, its things like sulphurous and nitrous oxides, trace heavy metal oxides and so on

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where my friends live cardboard (boxes) has to be free of the packing tape for recycling.

Reply to
alan_m

Off road wheely bin, now I like the sound of that :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Suggest it to Colin Furze

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

It's been a long time since I read them, but I think that my local council's instructions are that the contents should not be compacted in any way. Obviously, you take that with a large grain of salt. It warns about making the bin too heavy.

If I know there's going to be a lot to go in, I compact mine bit-by-bit as I fill it up, with the blade of spade (the bit you first stick in the soil - ie I don't whack it). However, I do think about the collection guys who have to wheel it, and try not to obviously overdo the compaction - but there have been occasions when I could hardly move it myself.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But first you have to catch a cat.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What appears to be un-recyclable cellophane is being increasingly made from starch - and can be recycled.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message snipped-for-privacy@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson snipped-for-privacy@g3ohx.co.uk> writes

I should have added 'in your own garden compost bin'. The council might not realise it's compostable if you put it in your garden waste bin.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But unless it?s clearly marked as such, you can?t really assume it. FWIW I?ve never seen anything labelled on food packaging as starch based ?cellophane?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"made from potato starch" was on the last one received here. But cellophane should be recyclable - it is made of cellulose - hence its name.

Reply to
charles

Unfortunately there seem to be at least two meanings of compostable. Many of the new "compostable" materials are only compostable in the high termperatures and intensive conditions of an industrial composting plant, and will show little degradation in an ordinary garden compost bin. I have found this with compostable food waste bags, which seem to persist for years at least in domestic compost.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

But many things we think might be cellophane are probably PVC.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No idea that's what I was told so I haven't done it. But when they say broken glass I'd always assumed they meant window type glass rather than bottle glass. But as most of my glass is bottles then it's not a problem for me.

What is a problem is them not reclying wood in the green bins. You'd think small pieces of wood would be OK.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'd think them being fake-claim products more likely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr