Stinky bin

Didn't bother putting the wheelie bin out last week because it only contained one carrier bag of rubbish. Unfortunately, I forgot that the carrier bag contained a chicken carcus. Having now been in a black wheelie bin for two weeks, much of it in the sun (and another week to go before collection), there's a terrible pong coming from the bin, even though the lid fits quite tightly. Seems to be drawing all the flies from a 5 mile radius too. Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink? The chicken is now burried at the bottom, but an army of thousands of maggots has made its way to the top, so I'm not going to empty it out to retrieve the carcus.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Half a can of fly & wasp killer spray.

Best of luck

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

bleach would make chlorine gas in the closed bin, sounds good

NT

Reply to
NT

Baking soda. Lots of it. Or lime.

Or, if you are sure that the chicken is right at the bottom of the bin, and that your binmen won't complain about liquid in the bin, a couple of bucketfuls of a strong solution of Jeyes Fluid in hot water should do the trick.

After the bin has been emptied, sprinkle in plenty of (dry) baking soda to absorb the residual odour.

Reply to
Bruce

Mmm. Lovely.

If the chicken's at the bottom, a couple of gallons of dettol to submerge it.

(If your wheeliebin has drain holes this might not be the best idea.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reminds me of when I was at uni. We (6 of us) were in a house that obviously used to be flats, as it had two separate electricity meters. Towards the end of term, we moved the fridge upstairs, so that we only had to keep one meter going. I was last to move out, and, as I tended to live from day to day, on instant mash and blocks of cheddar from Aldi (and beer and cheap cider), had the unfortunate encounter of discovering what one of my housemates had done with his burgers that had gone out of date, when I finally went back into the room with the fridge. The plonker had just 'discarded' them onto a table. The stench in the room was disgusting, there were flies buzzing around the room, and there were maggots crawling all over the table. Not sure how I avoided puking - I just legged it downstairs - got a bottle of bleach, and poured it over the whole sorry mess. Closed the door, and fled the house!

Reply to
John Whitworth

What a waste. Why was there enough meat left on it for there to be a problem anyway? Just taken a couple of slices of each breast and chucked the rest? The carcus should have been cleaned of most meat, for sarnies, snacks, pies, then popped in a pan with a few root veggies and water to be turned into chicken stock. About all you should be chucking in the bin is bones and gristle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Seconded. It works. Probably won't need more than a small spray or two and it's certainly better than chucking gallons of whatever liquid in there.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Or some Jewish Penicillin. :-)

One trick can be to leave the carcass in the open for a night or two. It will either be cleaned, or will disappear altogether, courtesy of local cats, foxes, and some birds.

Reply to
John Whitworth

Carcass.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Huge

Fill it with enough water to cover the stuff at the bottom and a bottle of dettol

Reply to
Me Here

When I was typing my strip and make into stock post I was trying to remember what happened to thebones from joints and carcases etc when I was a lad, I suspect they just went out for the birds, everything would vanish. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But it doesn't answer the >Any suggestions for something I can spray or sprinkle in the bin to quench the stink?

Fly and wasp killer spray won't do anything to reduce the smell. Most of them smell horrible themselves.

Reply to
Bruce

Bleach & hydrochloric based toilet descaler (one that worns not to mix with bleach)

As NT said, chlorine gas - no flies, maggots or bacteria.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Bruce scribeth thus

Couldn't he just dig a hole in the garden and tip to lot in that?...

Reply to
tony sayer

The can of RAID fly spray in my kitchen cupboard is scented.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A gallon of bleach and a gallon of amonia will kill anything with chlorine gas, just bleach will do the trick

Reply to
ransley

Yep, that's what I do, the stock then gets frozen in a container, ready for the next soup / caserole / curry I decide to build, - it's surprising how much meat is actually left on a clean carcass, and of course, if simmered long enough, most of the gristle actually melts into the stock, making it sticky and rich.

Reply to
Phil L

But they all smell *disgusting*. Adding one disgusting smell to another achieves nothing in terms of getting rid of the original smell, which is what Andrew was asking about.

Reply to
Bruce

The blackbirds love it if they can beat the magpies to it.

Reply to
mogga