Bin shed, anyone built one?

I want a bin shed to make 3 wheelie bins look less of an eyesore.

A nice-ish looking sturdy one will cost about 300 quid to buy so i'm thinking of building one.

If you've done similar, did you wing it or work to a plan you found?

Reply to
R D S

Not done it but whatever you build, keep in mind that bin numbers may increase. We now have five wheelie bins plus a small food waste bin.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They did one on Garden Rescue the other day and must have spent close to £300 on materials (wavy lap cedar(?), 2x4s and large diameter bamboo).

They built it for 2 wheelie bins although I did notice earlier in the program that the household had 4 different colour bins.

The one thing they did realise whilst building it was it had to be much taller than the wheelie bins because to get them out the bins had to be pivoted on the back wheel thus requiring more height clearance in the shed. They fitted a cosmetic (non-waterproof) roof to the shed.

I don't know how most people use these bins but there was no mechanism for filling the bins whilst parked in the shed.

Reply to
alan_m

My advice is just to screen wall. Don't roof it - it'll be a sod to put rubbish in the bins and to haul them out if you do. If you do decide to roof it then it'll need to be much higher than you think.

Reply to
Bev

If the recycling robots were any good we could go back to one.

Reply to
Max Demian

A lot depends on your exact layout, access, and sight-lines. Another option might be something with a roof but open fronted, provided it is convenient to wheel the bins out for putting stuff in.

One merit of roofing, if you make enough clearance, is that it provides a dry space for delivery people to leave parcels (on top of the bins).

Reply to
newshound

I like the ones where you lift the roof and the bin lids open as well...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

R D S formulated on Saturday :

Winged it. I have a 12x10 shed, which I moved back a few feet, then added a lean-to roof around 3 x 12. I fitted fence panels between the supports for the roof. One panel I hinged to a support, but I also had to fit a dexion frame behind it, to keep the panel rigid.

Its roof is too low to enable me to walk in and there is only immediate access to the first two bins (recycle and general) via the door, one has to be pulled out to get the garden brown bin out, but we don't need that very often, so not a problem.

I made the door panel shorter, so there was a 9" gap above, between it and the roof. I further enhanced that gap with a pulley, pair of hooks and some rope. Hooks attached to bin lids, we I can just tug the rope with or without opening the door. With door closed, odd bits of rubbish can be popped through the 9" gap above door into which ever bin.

Rope has a handle at the end, pull that and attach to a hook and both bin lids are held open, if the are a few things to put in.

All very Heath Robinson, but our bins are out of sight and are still very easy to use.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

FIVE? We have two and the food waste bin. How do people with small gardens store the poxy things?

Reply to
Graeme

alan_m

they won't need the 3 garden waste bins that we have.

Reply to
charles

I combined a fence with a bin shelter.

Used 4x4 posts (because they would look how I wanted them to - not for strength), quite closely spaced - about 1.3 metres and about 1.8 metres high.

Between the posts, two horizontal half-rounds. (Used circular saw to cut halving-type recesses for the half-rounds to nestle into.)

Vertical 4x1 attached to the horizontals with about one inch gaps.

Tops of these 4x1 trimmed into a nice curve.

This fence was about four metres long and another 1.3 metres at a right-angle.

Our four wheelie bins just sat next to the fence which hid them from the garden and amazingly stopped them getting blown over.

We now have two different sized plastic boxes (glass and paper), two square bags (like one tonne sand/aggregate sacks from builders merchants but a bit smaller), and a food waste container. (Despite all these containers, we have no green waste bin as we used to.) On top of that we are allowed to put out two different coloured plastic bin liners. And plastic bags of batteries.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Paint the bins to look like little sheds, and line them up carefully ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In much of the country you should find enough matching material in skips to build something that looks tidy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I saw one made of trellis with plastic ivy attached to it - looked very good

Reply to
Murmansk

Or paint them to look like pretty flowers.

Reply to
Dave W