Oak framed porch - anyone built one?

I'm thinking of building a porch out the front of my house. Probable footprint of 2 metres square.

I'd like a oak frame, thinking of 8" square or similar oak pillars, with masonry filling the gaps up to a height of 3' or so, then glass to the ceiling.

Has anyone done such a project?

Where do you get oak pillars at a reasonable price?

And, planning permission, I believe there is no planning involved if it is so small, and not above something like 2.2m. Any idea if that is true?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

yes, whole friggin house part green oak part softwood

whippletree hardwoods in my case.

If its visible from the road I THINK it is subject ...but should not be an issue getting it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sunday 22 December 2013 12:45 A.Lee wrote in uk.d-i-y:

For the planning:

Google for "Planning Portal"

It's a gov website and explains all the various permitted development options, including porches.

Is your building listed or in a conservation area? Either will make most permitted development options moot.

Oak - maybe railway sleepers if you have the means to cut lenghtwise (warning, it'll be hard going).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, thanks. For 'no permission required', it is an external floor area of 3 sq. metres, and a height of a max. of 3m, so I can reduce the footprint size slightly to keep the cost down - adding on planning permission costs will make it uneconomical.

Or, I can just build it at 4 sq. m and hope no-one notices! Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

On Sunday 22 December 2013 15:19 A.Lee wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Depends - will you be selling the house in the next few years? Are you willing to take a chance, based on the worst case scenario being that you have to pull it down?

Is the extra 1m2 worth it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this 'smart' or 'rustic'? If it's rustic, I suspect you might be able to find some branches that have blown down in a winter storm and cut those down to size. They'll be twisty and warped but that's part of the charm. Next time there's a windy day (tomorrow?) head for the woods and see if you can save some before it gets sawn up (obviously with the permission of the landowner).

I don't know how awkward it would be to dry and season 'windfall' oak though.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos