Flashing an oak timber framed building?

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this and - if you do - make a contribution.

We're in the process of having a 16th century timber framed building completely rebuilt (after a disasterous fire!). There seems to be uncertainty among builders, project manager and the conservation officer on the best method of applying lead flashing to a timber framed building. flashing needs applying to where additions meet the main building, e.g. the porch. Is there a better method than simply cutting into oak beams and inserting lead (what should this be caulked/sealed with?) and forming a lead upstand and covering with lime in the panels?

Thanks a lot - Tony

Reply to
Sumgod

I don't know the answer but I don't think inserting lead into oak timbers is a good idea. I recently had repairs done to a similar age of house and my timber framer told me that it will tend to trap moisture and rot the timber so any flashing should be spaced away from the timber by for example a brick

I suggest you phone the Society fro Protection of Ancient Buildings free helpline (number on their webpage

It will take a while to get through cos the helpline is busy, but persist. Your conservation officer should be happy with whatever they say cos SPAB are a reputable organisation

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I read Annas response, and she makes a valid point.

Howevr I am slighly at a loss as to what is being talked about here - you have what? and oak post or something, part of the structure, and want to add a blockwork wall to it?

And the flashing is to go between the two?

Is tehoverall building oak framed with exposed frame? Or is it rendered over (as e.g. old wattle an daub type structure) ?

I think there as many answers to the question a there are conservation officers, but a little more detail wuld help suggest some.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher