Wheeler Dealers

Any history on how the repaired cars fare after they have left the gentle care of the man with the mad hair and sold by the man in the tight jacket?
Just that I though some of his repairs were a bit of a botch.
Paul Mc Cann
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 01:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Is this a reference to some broadcast on the TV system of this country?
--
Davey.

On Monday, July 2, 2012 10:32:34 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:

I'm tempted to say get with the programme
http://www.wheelerdealer.com /
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 03:55:50 -0700 (PDT)

No thanks!
--
Davy.

On 02/07/2012 09:58, fred wrote:

Yes - there are occasional "Wheeler Dealers Revisited" episodes, though I suspect they only follow up the best examples.
--
Reentrant

On 02/07/2012 09:58, fred wrote:

What in particular? Ed China seems to be very knowledgeable.

On 02/07/2012 09:58, fred wrote:

Not so much a botch as doing the repair at (or to) a particular cost/time limit.
fred wrote:

I can't really believe that they find a buyer for each and every car they do up, moreover that all the buyers pay more than the total outlay so that a profit is made on each car. Have you not thought that it's all just staged and that the 'buyers' are actually crew members' freinds and family?
On 02/07/2012 18:07, Phil L wrote:

Phil they never ever factor in Ed's time (how much is a trained mechanic per hour?) and they never factor in rental of garage/equipment so the actual outlay is ALWAYS more than stated .
I have also seen ones (few admitadely) where they have lost money Also Mike is(was?) a proffesional car salesman his stock in trade is buy cheap sell dear any car salesman who couldn't do that would soon be out of a job.
Also people may be prepared to pay a tad more knowing full well that the BBC would not sell them a pup and that (up to a point) the cars will be as sorted as poss.
What I do dislike is easy jobs may be made to look really complicated they may also make really complicated jobs look ridiculously easy. They also do (a factor in many shows) what I call false jeapordy. "Will we make a profit on this""we wont make a profit if we have to buy a new widget" FFS Mike you could give the car away (X000 is not going to matter relative to the cost of making an hour of TV) it doesn't matter if/how much of a profit you make.

I think it is a load of crap. There is no cost for Ed's time nor charges for rent of the workshop. No lighting or power costs. How others noticed how Ed never gets very dirty. I think someone else does the work and he pretends to have done it. Also I do not like the term grease monkey it so out of date especially as Ed is supposed to work on the more complicated vehicles
On 03/07/2012 18:02, Roberts wrote:

That's what I said

I think so too. c.f The bloke from Stoke in various "an XXX is born" shows.

That is a term I have not and do not use.