whats the fuss about FM?

They did swap at some stage, long history that station!

Its now on the local mini DAB MUX:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

At the rate their shutting down MF stations;!...

Better get a demo MW TX in fact It'd be interesting to hear it on its widest bandwidth setting?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article <sjk5k5$f0a$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com> scribeth thus

Dunno! Did it ever work?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Oh, and with FM you increase the signal power by increasing the carrier power. With AM you need to increase the input power to increase the signal power. I used to know the equations ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The similar sort of consideration for an AM analogue (eg PAL-I) TV signal is that the 5MHz bandwidth noise from a 75 ohm resistor (at 20C?) is about minus 58dBmV (1.259 microvolts). I'm not sure how this relates to (say) 200kHz(???) bandwidth and an FM audio signal.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

tony sayer wrote on 06/10/2021 :

Yep, worked first time, but it would be difficult to tune and tended to drift from memory.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Mark Carver brought next idea :

Mine is supposed to do that, getting a speed input from the GPS. I have never noticed any difference when it's turned on, even when configured for maximum.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

From the GPS !!

Don't they just use a simple mic in the engine bay ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

No mic in the engine bay. It could use it's built in mic, the one it uses when bluetooth connected to my phone, but I read it uses the GPS speed report.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Not even that. Mine will get louder if I open a window

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Car audio systems often have access to engine speed and road speed data from the CAN bus. They then apply an algorithm to boost the output level according to a combination of those speed measurements. Doing it this way is more consistent than using GPS data (which they could also access equally easily).

John

Reply to
John Walliker

sort of h-bomb to crack a nut technology.

A cabin microphone is infinitely better. Such as the one used for the integrated bluetooth connected hands free mobile phone...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Thursday, 7 October 2021 at 18:11:37 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its not as simple as that. The system that plays music may be made by a different supplier to the hands-free phone system which complicates interfacing. For a microphone to be useful at estimating road and engine noise it must first cancel out the music which is being played. It also needs to have a suitable frequency response. The built-in directional microphones have strong attenuation of the lower road and engine noise frequencies for obvious reasons, but this makes them less suitable for measuring those frequencies. Their outputs are also processed by automatic gain controls, noise suppressors and echo cancellers optimised for telephony. In contrast, the car audio system will already be connected to a CAN bus like almost everything else in the car and often also to a separate "entertainment" bus such as a MOST optical fibre ring. It would of course be possible to send unprocessed audio from the microphone to the audio system over the entertainment bus, but it would still suffer from an unsuitable frequency response. Overall it is much easier to grab information about engine and road speeds than to process audio from a microphone that is intended for other purposes. The boost is unlikely to be more than around 10dB, so lookup tables based on the CAN data are perfectly good enough. Car manufacturers try very hard to reduce the number of point-to-point connections to save weight, cost and complexity.especially when different combinations of optional extras would potentially require different wiring harness configurations. It is much preferable to interconnect everything with a few communication buses rather than lots of individual cables.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I can remember finding a valve car radio in a box in my Dads garage.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Very easy if its a mic in the player itself. Remember it doesnt have to 'cancel out the noise' - it is enough to take a sound envelope of what is being fed to te speakers and compare it with a sound envelope of the noise its hearing. Or sample the noise level during quite pieces of music.

It doesn't have to be massively accurate - it simply wants to improve S/N of te music in quiet periods

It also

Those are also the frequencies that are not necessarily heard as 'noise' by the human ear

Their outputs are also processed by automatic

Their raw inputs however. are not.

Bollocks

It would of course

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember one in a car a mate had that I fixed.

But IIRC we got a £7 tranny one from Halfords to replace it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine certainly uses a noise detector as opening h windows causse the volume to increase

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite the opposite:

"MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) is a high-speed multimedia network technology optimized by the automotive industry. ... The serial MOST bus uses a daisy-chain topology or ring topology and synchronous data communication to transport audio, video, voice and data signals via plastic optical fiber (POF) (MOST25, MOST150) or electrical conductor (MOST50, MOST150) physical layers." and "MOST technology is used in almost every car brand worldwide, including Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen, SAAB, SKODA, SEAT and Volvo."

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I had to disable it, because it overcompensated and became TOO LOUD

Reply to
Andy Burns

If its done properly you should hardly be aware that it is happening.

John

Reply to
John Walliker