What to do with you junk mail

It's helpful that you can now register online through the MPS website. And it's worth remembering that your name gets taken off the list after 5 years unless you re-register.

Interestingly if you register with the Telephone Preference Service, or Fax Preference Service, and a Direct Marketing Company contacts you by one of these methods then it's committing an offence. That doesn't seem to be so with the MPS -- but as far as I'm concerned it's worked OK for the last 4 or 5 years and I've just re-registered.

Chris Ward.

Reply to
pvryjneq

Sadly, market research companies are exempt from the the TPS scheme which, aside from the fact that MR are a PITA, gives the telephone sales cowboys a (sort of) loophole. How many of you, registered with TPS or not, have had a call along the lines of, "you took part in a survey X months ago and we entered you into our free prize draw........"? As soon as you tell them that you *never* take part in telephone surveys, or ask for their contact details (which they are legally obliged to provide) they hang up (and 1471 gives "number witheld").

Reply to
parish

As a Local Govt Officer (cough), I thought I should tell you why. My section has it's own operator and she handles calls for 120 people. The switchboard automatically puts 141 in front of our dialled numbers. I remember the week 1471 came in, the operator was getting about 1 call every five minutes along the lines of "Some-one rang me from this number earlier, what was that about?". It's standard practice for large businesses to withhold their number for this very reason. Our City Hall operators handles calls for 2000 people so you can imagine what a nightmare it was them....

Reply to
Suz

"Suz" wrote | > Surprisingly, some local govt officers also seem to hide behind | > number witheld. | As a Local Govt Officer (cough), I thought I should tell you why. | My section has it's own operator and she handles calls for 120 | people. The switchboard automatically puts 141 in front of our | dialled numbers. I remember the week 1471 came in, the operator | was getting about 1 call every five minutes along the lines of | "Some-one rang me from this number earlier, what was that about?". | It's standard practice for large businesses to withhold their | number for this very reason. | Our City Hall operators handles calls for 2000 people so you can imagine | what a nightmare it was them....

But there are several resolutions to the problem:

  1. Have the switcboard send each extension's DDI number as a presentation number. Calls come back to the people who made them.

  1. Give the switchboard operator a screen linked into the call logger system and incoming caller display, so the operator can see the last extension(s) that made an outgoing call to the number phoning in.

Or, the one that has least least adverse impact on the confidentiality aspect of releasing calling line identity:

  1. Use a presentation number that isn't the switchboard's incoming number, but connects to an answering machine with a message saying "You have probably reached this number by returning a call made by a user on the Borsetshire Council telephone system to your number. Unfortunately we cannot re-connect you to the person who tried to call you."

Owain who's worked as a switchboard operator for a council

Reply to
Owain

TPS is acting under an EU Directive implemented into UK law. FPS is a waste of time since under that same EU Directive, uncolicited commercial faxes to domestic phone lines are just illegal full stop. All you are doing registering with the fps is publishing your fax number pointlessly.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

So local govt. use number witheld for their convenience. That's ok because I also use it for my convenience.

Reply to
robert

Absolutely!

Not even remotely surprised - most of them will hide behind just about anything rather than face something head on; in my experience of them that is, maybe I'm just unlucky in my patch. I'd be amazed though as collectively they've managed to arrange themselves in such a way as to be £3m-4m in the red, hardly keeping it open & realistic then! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

[snip]

Stirling stuff indeed, all of them!

However; Council, resolutions, same planet: I don't think so! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

It would be interesting to know if any company has actually been prosecuted. I have asked them in emails but they never reply.

Reply to
robert

Any prosecutions would be conducted not by the TPS, but by the enforcement authority - the Information Commissioner. I believe there have been two prosecutions.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

They'll probably get around to that in 2016. This is public sector after all. Time for a tea break....

Suz who used to work in the real world, and can't get over my good luck in finding this holiday camp

Reply to
Suz

Heh, we registered with TPS recently and yesterday, two months post implementation we got a call from some double glazing company. My wife took it, coolly informed them they were acting illegally, took their name and that of the company they were working for. Apparently the other person slammed the phone down after imparting this info. A complaint will follow to TPS. This is soooo satisfying!

We thought about MPS but I don't find that as intrusive as the phone and we have fun sending them each other's junk mail in the reply paid envelopes. All reference to us removed of course. I don't have any spare bricks lying around.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Don't forget to let us know the outcome!

Yes.

Reply to
parish

Just a guess, Bowater-Zenith? ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

It does...you just have to remember to print them out (24 point works better). :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not much, based on my previous complaints to the TPS. I just got a letter to say they'd received my complaint, and gave my another blank form for next time. I'd reported it via their web site, anyway.

While you've got them talking, don't forget to get the company name, and preferably address and 'phone number. The oiks who call me always claim not to know their employer's address or number because they've "only been working here a few days."

Edwin Bath.

Reply to
Edwin Spector

I suspect it isn't worth their while to get heavy with individual complaints. If I was them I would collate complaints and have a threshold, which would decrease upon consistent bad behaviour.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby