What's your most unpleasant DIY task

I had to cut through a cast iron pipe recently, masked everything, made a polythene tent, wore a mask, cut it with a cutting disk. Ugh, the fine black dust got everywhere, including up my nose and in my mouth, the taste was awful, as it was a toilet pipe I'm sure I could taste the sh1t, not that I had ever tasted it before. Worse of all the iron in my mouth reacted with my filling, it was like chewing silver paper. By far my most unpleasant job what's yours? I think if I had to do it again I'd buy a reciprocating saw, whatever the expense.

Fitting rockwall, onto the underside of a floor when lieing in the crawl space. I would never do this again.
However painting is right up there. I got talked into "United Colors of ........." paints, 6 coats it took to get the ceiling vaguley right + the days doing the walls. In the end I gave up, went and got some Dulux Profesional Colour Matched, and went over the top of the whole lot, perfect in 1 coat, and much less money than the orignal stuff, only took a day to do 2 rooms.
Gloss Painting could be used as a torture technique, its in my Room 101.
Rick
Rick Dipper wrote:

Funnily enough, I was going to say 'laying Rockwool' too; in a roof space where the pitch of the roof above was incredibly low and shallow, necessitating me lying full length on crawl boards wiith push-sticks to lay the stuff. But fitting it *above* you?? Yeuch - I think you've beaten me there!
David

I was in a shed the other day (Homebase) and they did a rockwool / insulation roll that came pre-wrapped in a plastic film, so its only when you actually cut the roll to length that you expose the fibres. There appeared to be plenty of expansion room to the film, so it should fill out fine.
Jobs like this might never be quite as bad again :-)

I'm glad that happened.

Well you used the wrong type (class) of mask then, didn't you !... Duh.

IMO, nothing beats spending hours on something, getting a lovely result, and then completely wrecking it just as you finish.
Recent example for me would be after my monitor failed, I took it apart, spent a while finding the fault, fixed it, and went on to add a small low-speed fan to keep it cooler, and then replacing some caps on the board, as they were a bit old, and high ESR.
Turned it on to check it. Result!, slightly brighter, with no shadowing like it was doing, and better EHT regulation. Left it going for 12 hours, still fine. Slid case back on, and was met with a whooshing noise. A wire that needed to be in one position when out of the case, has to be taken off and put back on before you put the case back on.
It had caught on the board at the back of the CRT, and ripped the neck off the tube, making it utterly unrepariable.
For "nasty, smelly" jobs, I tend to skip the whole mask thing, and go for a full facemask with air supplied from a fresh source.

Yup - the print head on my trusty old Stylus 600 was blocked, and no amount of cleaning cycles would cure it. I removed it and left it soaking in distilled water for a day or so. Then tried forcing water (gently) through it with a small squeezey bottle - the type ink re-fills come in. Linked to each ink input in turn with some sleeving. Some jets worked but not others. Soaked it in industrial alcohol. Tried forcing some of that through. More jets working. After a couple of days of soaking and forcing, eventually all the jets seemed clear. In jubilation I went to pull off the sleeving from the input - careful to do this in line and not break the tiny plastic pipe. But held the assembly wrongly, and pulled the thing apart - ripping off the ribbon to the piezo part. No chance of repairing that.
Anyone got a broken one lying around where the head might be ok? I bought a new printer, but it's not as good in some ways.
--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Ammonia based cleaners (Windex) are good for Epson heads.
--
DB.

Thanks, but what has that got to do with the question, or are you suggesting that cleaning an Epson head (what ever that is) is the worst possible DIY job ?!... -- http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

It is also almost impossible to find Windex in the UK. I think that is what makes it one of the most unpleasant DIY jobs. All that swimming...
However, the very similar window cleaning product Sprint seems to work as well in the UK as does Windex in the US - on Epson print heads.
--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Clear ammonia - its easier to find
Soak the pad is rests on, and it`ll break up any dried out ink in the capilliary feed.
Rod Hewitt wrote:

I went loooking in teh supermarket, and found just one product that contains ammonia.
Its around, but yu have too hunt..

and
Dip the whole cartridge in metholated spirit and leave it for a day. Most inks are based on something similar to metholated spirit as their solvent, so it works wonders on cleaning the heads.
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:20:51 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

Isopropyl alchocol is also *very* good for this job - available from friendly Chemist shops. No impurities either. Also handy for tape heads etc.
Timbo
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:20:51 UTC, "BigWallop"

Possibly useful advice in general - but he's broken it now anyway...
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

I left it in a sealed jar of IPA for several days, but that didn't clear it. You need to force the alcohol through the jets.
--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Thought that would have worked as well, right enough. But, as you say, you do sometimes have to push the cleaner through the head to clear the clogged up stuff away.
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:19:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Hi,
AFICT the ink is water based. I found refilling the cart and standing it in a warmed saucer with some ink in it, followed by blowing through the vent holes cleared the nozzles on mine.
If the cart has sponge in it, then using anything other than ink can give a washed out printout for a while.
cheers, Pete.

Which is industrial alcohol with additives, is it not

--
geoff