What's in your toolbelt ?

I just want to see wat everyone likes to carry in their toolbelts.

I have: Dead-On toolbelt with 3" AWP leather belt w/ Workhorse 45degre hammer holster Pair of Hang-it-up suspenders w/ shoulder pads

Right Pouch: Dead-on Exhumer Stanley mini pry bar

6-in-1 painters tool Stanley yellow utility knife ProjectCalc Stanley Fat Max chaulk box lumber crayon w/ krel (crayon holder) and pencil sharpner on leathe lanyard Stanley nail sets (3) Stanley Surform several pencils

At Rear in hammer holster: Douglas 20oz. Framer Bigg Lug

Left Pouch: Mayes 8" level Stanley 1" chisel Swanson Speed Square Sears Craftsman 30' yellow tape

1 Pair HandMaster carp gloves Plumb bob w/ 10' +/- string AllTrade folding mini sa

-- Trusshauler

Reply to
Trusshauler

Edwin Pawlowski

Nice thing for doing carpentry, hinders more than helps doing cabinetry.

Reply to
George

How long does it take you to get into and out of that get-up?

Reply to
Leon

Considering all that weight, maybe those are hernia trusses that are being hauled?

Reply to
Swingman

I hope you have a good back brace, your gonna need it to carry around all that stuff :) I have a set of suspenders on my belt that helps take some weight off my hips and puts it on my shoulders. Seems much more comfortable to split the weight of my rig up. What I carry is determined by the job at hand. For framing, I carry the basic stuff... Framing hammer, tape, speed square, cat's paw, chaulk box, utility knife, several pencils, old chisel, 4 in 1 screwdriver, torpedo level, large nail set. Anything else is in a toolbox in the truck. Sometimes the toolbelt sits in a corner and I just carry a tape, pencil, speed square and a utility knife. When doing finishing work, the big toolbelt stays in the truck. Walking around someones house with that thing on can cause more damage (hammer loops scratching door jambs when walking through, etc) so I use a smaller apron. These aprons are canvas and can be bought at most any home center for $2 or so. They have two pouches to keep stuff. In there, I keep a 4 in 1 file, end nips (for pulling nails out through the back of trim), tape, pencils, small nail set, 4" combo square for marking reveals, and a block plane. The finish hammer and speed square are nearby, but not carried everywhere. Once again, the rest of the trim tools are in a toolbox in the truck. Installing cabinetry requires about the same tools in the pouch as finish work. --dave

"Trusshauler" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com...

Reply to
Dave Jackson

In the shop, I wear a apron to protect the privates and carry a pencil. If I'm doin' some carpenterin', I have a toolbelt for a hammer, pencil, tape measure, and various nails or screws depending upon the job. Anything else is in the carpenter's toolbox in the truck. shazam, jo4hn (aka captain Marvie)

Reply to
jo4hn

It varies. I carry only the tools necessary to perform the task at hand.

Reply to
Nova

That's ALL I wear in the summer.

Well... Shoes and safety glasses, of course!

Reply to
B A R R Y

bottle opener

22 Derringer roach clip EZcut papers XM radio remote cell phone. Left slipper.

Right pouch: Home surgery kit.

6 cans of Diet Pepsi. Box of band-Aids. Kazoo. Slingshot. Trusshauler's phone number. Right slipper.

Backpack: Small dog.

Reply to
Robatoy

I wear an apron but I suppose that still counts:

Apron: Basic Duluth Trading green apron with a couple of plastic quickrelease beltclip things attached to the strings.

lower left pocket: 25 foot fastcap lefty/righty tape measure. upper left pocket: empty when I'm working, safety glasses when I hang it up lower right pocket: Small Veritas Saddle square, Small Veritas Try/Miter Square upper right pocket: ZEM Hearing Protectors left chest pocket: two or three pencils, six-inch scale, maybe a sharpie right chest pocket: dial calipers, sometimes the crank to the router raizer.

In every pocket: varying amounts of sawdust.

Other objects as needed.

Reply to
else24

Now *that* was too much information.

Mark & Juanita

I seem to carry less and less the older I get.

Left side

trim hammer utility knife small glue bottle a few 8d hand drive finish nails small nail set a small compass for a scribe

2 or 3 pencils

right side painters tool

1" chisel flat screwdriver a few 4d hand drive finish nails 2 drill bits that I use a lot belt watch

middle

tape measure

Sometimes

If I'm doing a lot of nailing of casings I'll have a bunch of gun nails somewhere. a tri square a phillips screwdriver a small level a stud finder a chalk line a folding rule a sharpie a radio if there is a big game on

Reply to
Mike O.

No utility belt, summer attire consists of Shorts, Shoes and assorted pocket tools. Typically, a 25' Lufkin, screwdriver, utility knife, wire strippers and sundry fasteners. I used to carry more, but one of the neighbours lost their site when I was bent over the pond doing some electrical work.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Hi there, I try to avoid wearing a toolbelt as much as possible . Too hard on your back and hips as you get older. I can vouch for all the damage done after years of toolbelts - woking in the field as a construction electrician. It's easier to just have your toolbucket or toolbelt nearby and have a couple of tools in your back pockets that you really need and if you need something else go to toolbucket or toolbelt Time alone will cause back and hip problems-don't add to the damage by packing a heavy toolbelt all day. Best wishes, Peter

Reply to
pete

Likewise. Never saw the point in wearing one in the shop. The workbench is just a step away. Anything I use allot, a pencil for example I can stick in my shirt or pants pocket. The rest can sit on the bench. Now working outside, up and down a ladder is a different thing. No place handy to set small tools down, so I wear a tool belt. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Geez! I took a second look at your post and wondered why you carry so much at one time!! Even when I wear a tool belt I just add the specific tools for that particular job. You carry more in your belt than I own! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

When I was raised up as a carpenter we were told to carry the following in our aprons:

Scribers. Keel. Utility knife. Two nail sets.

A carpenter's pencil went behind your ear.

A tape hooked onto your belt.

The rest went into a tote.

Regards,

Tom Watson