what's wrong with our potatoes?

I'm old enough to remember the joy of new potatoes, Jersey Royals, Cyprus new, or whatever. Now everything tastes of shit, whether it's from Waitrose or the farmers' market. The only decent tasting spuds are frozen mash or McCain's Simply Gorgeous chips. I've grown the most delicious crop in builders buckets outside my back door, so what's so bloody difficult? And don't get me started about apples......
On Fri, 12 May 2017 15:05:00 +0100, Stuart Noble wrote:

"Free market", innit ?
1) Driving incentive for farmer is to grow as *much*, as *cheaply* (cf easily) as possible. Presumably the easiest to grow are the cheapest. And when you consider trade is by *weight* then the temptation to grow and sell varieties which hold a lot of water must immense.
2) Thick consumers with zero experience of real taste.
Many years ago, I discovered a gorgeous tomato variety called "SunGold". It retailed briefly and disappeared from trace. (You can still buy seeds for it). In it's place we have SunBurst, SunBlush,SunDream all of which may as well be called "SunShit". I really can't remember the last time I bought tomatoes *anywhere* in the UK. Even (especially) from "farm shops". They are universally bland.
I now know why so many European ex-pats in the UK grow their own veg.

See above.
On 12/05/2017 15:41, Jethro_uk wrote:

Have you noticed that the vast majority of supermarket tomatoes have *very* thick and tough skins?
On 12/05/2017 15:54, Bod wrote:

Yes, but I think you do better if you buy the not very big, on the vine ones. The cheap ones might be OK for frying but not much else.
--
Michael Chare

On 12/05/2017 15:54, Bod wrote:

Appearance and long shelf life - that's all the supermarkets care about. Taste and smell don't enter the equation.
...and don't start me on strawberries...

Ours don’t.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, all potatoes and tomatoes taste fine to me.
--
New Zealand Rugby Commentator - "Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him."

Fine, but the rest of us can tell the difference in taste.

Never heard anyone say that before. Especially with potatoes which have almost no flavour anyway, they're always mixed with other foods which have a taste to them.
--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Then you need a hearing aid, bad.

Even sillier than you usually manage. Your taste buds are fucked.

Not always.

Apples, oranges, they're tasty. Eating a potato on it's own is like eating bread.
--
Two cowboys are riding along a trail in the mountains when they suddenly hear tom toms beating very close to them.
"Oh! That doesn't sound good," one says to the other.

Yes.

Depends on what you do with it. Lovely roasted in a fire.

But you need to add stuff to give it flavour.
--
Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?

Nope. Just cook a good potato properly.

Cooking won't magically give it flavour. They're bland.
--
Found in a fortune cookie:
"You are a poor, pathetic, gullible fool who seeks advice from bakery products."

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.
Raw meat has much less flavour than after its cooked.

Not when cooked properly they arent.

Still nothing like tasty fruits.
--
A mistake is evidence that someone has tried to do something.

Sure, and nothing like chilli either. So ?

So I prefer food with flavour.
--
All religions are part of Operation Mindfuck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mindfuck

On Monday, 15 May 2017 20:41:09 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

and even less like a kebab.