Induction heating

Has anyone here tried one of these? If I bought one would it just be yet another thing for SWMBO to moan about?

With my Jeep Grand Cherokee ( been in the garage again for the last 3 days), when it had a seized bolt on the tracking adjustment I eventually found a Jeep main service agent that had the recommended induction heater. They freed it. They have since closed. There seem to be the tools on ebay for thousands of pounds.

The thread about stopcocks reminded me about induction heating and wondering whether there might be any point in trying pushing a heating coil over a seized tap. I know the heat would just conduct away, but might it linger long enough to expand something seized?

Reply to
Bill

If the tap has a rubber washer I don't suppose that will last long! Assuming you can turn the water off elsewhere and are trying to mend a tap that's unrepairable otherwise, it might be worth a go although I would imagine that any plating would get discoloured.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1, also such valves usually have packed glands containing fibrous material and grease.

I have a full bore ball valve after my traditional design water stop valve and only ever use that. Quarter turn, low friction, very reliable.

Reply to
newshound

Not sure about this as it has to depend on the material used in whatever is being heated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If heat works wouldn't freezing with a can of freezer spray also work

Reply to
alan_m