OT/Nostalgia: BBC Micro, homebuilt hacks

I thought my own rig with mods was hacky, but this fellow took it to a whole another level!

My old BBC Micro system - mikeselectricstuff

Adrian Caspersz

I have 3 x BBC Masters in a box in the loft, can't bring myself to throw them away....

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

That wire-wrapped ROM expansion board is absolutely mental.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I still occasionally type *. into a CLI if I'm particularly distracted. Muscle memory never ever quite goes away.

Of course, ls in a Windows cmd shell is more frequently the cause of swearies.

Reply to
Chronos

En el artículo , Chronos escribió:

You're me, you are. I find myself wondering if there's a way to alias 'dir' to 'ls', but that way lies madness.

I had a BBC system similar to the one in the vid, but in the original case. Somehow managed to squeeze in 6502 second processor, fully populated 16-ROM ATPL ROM board, 32k sideways RAM, 1770 DFS board, and a ROM cartridge system fitted to the ashtray. Oh, and the Acorn speech upgrade. Externally: dual floppies, Torch z80, ROM box, EPROM programmer, self-built hard disc (I got the Adaptec ACB4000 board for a couple quid at the NARSA Blackpool ham radio rally - the seller didn't know what it was.)

The PSU coped with it all admirably. I gave the lot away with loads of ROMs and software, about 300 floppies, regretted it ever since.

And, yes, the muscle memory still occasionally tricks me into *.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I was at Acorn World 2017 earlier today in Cambridge - lots of nostalgia as well as up to date systems running RISCOS. It's on again tomorrow if anyone is interested see:

The museums website is :

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Including Raspberry Pi. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Point-to-point wiring, but soldered not wrapped.

Reply to
Rob Morley