Micro chainsaw anyone?

I could use one of those on an overgrown hedge. TW

Reply to
TimW

Very tempting, especially at today's Deal-of-the-Day price. Looks about the size of a reciprocating saw. Shame it doesn't take the Power4All batteries which my other garden tools use.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Seems a bit iffy, according to reviews.

Reply to
Richard

If I were richer...but I was left a bit underwhelmed by "Up to 100 meters of softwood can be cut without having to replace the saw blade" given a blade costs from £17.94 (at Lawson-His: you can pay much more elsewhere).

Reply to
Robin

When its says micro.....

michael adams

michael adams

It uses nano blade technology which is available in other forms i.e in a conventional jigsaw body in Germany. Given the blade cost, the only use I can see for one is for cut-outs, plunge cutting narrow slots in sheet material to be continued using a conventional jigsaw. It would cut down on wastage as compared with drilling a large enough hole with a conventional drill. Other than slicing cucumbers straight out of the freezer maybe.

The blades will probably stay small owing to safety issues.

michael adams

michael adams

A few things on the video

Safety, all cutting seemed to be with the tool moving towards the operator rather than away from the operator. I can just see the blade traveling into someones thigh at the end of the cut.

Is that smoke or sawdust when cutting plywood?

The cuts on the shelf seem too straight and perfect for freehand - almost as if a chop saw had been used.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , "dennis@home" writes

That price seems to be Prime customers only. Cheapest I could see on eBay is ?96.37, free P&P. Much the same elsewhere.

Reply to
Graeme

There's nothing on there that couldn't be achieved with an ordinary jigsaw.

However and its probably the big selling point for the market its aimed at, the rotary motion makes it much smoother to use, as compared with the jerkiness of the reciprocating blade in a conventional jigsaw..

The woman in the video, unless already particularly skilled has possibly put in plenty of practice beforehand. They may even used her in live demonstations in exhibitions and similar if they have such things in Germany.

As to safey I think there'll be a cut-out which immediately stops the blade once the large guard plate is no longer in contact with the wood.

michael adams

michael adams

I've just found out that while she's completely unknown to people in the UK, the woman on the video is in fact a member of the presenting team on Germany's favourite DIY programme Mach es Selbst ! She goes by the name of Sabine Bucknell.

michael adams

michael adams

Out of interest, what would be a suitable alternative for cutting trees? Having a similar portable, relatively safe, battery-powered form factor - where a full chainsaw is not appropriate (more buddleia than giant redwood), but with the ability to throw in a rucksack and charge from a 12V supply (via inverter if needed).

Preferably without the profit-through-razor-blades business model.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Get out!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Barry Bucknell's daughter was Susan Bucknell, but the age suggests a grandchild.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A ryobi one+ sabre saw.

dennis

The only alternative to a chainsaw is a reciprocating saw or sabre saw, of which portable versions are available. However IME all large reciprocating saws are very unpleasant to use owing to the back and forth vibrations, which really go up your arms. Because there's no weight in the actual blade, the tool has to be gripped quite firmly to keep the blade in contact with the work, and prevent it from jumping out

Possibly for someone with circulation problems in their arms they could be quite beneficial.

There are I believe "low vibration" models available in the top end of the ranges on payment of the necessary extra few squids.

For buddleia and similar I'd have thought an ordinary bowsaw would suffice taking care to keep the plastic guard in place when carrying it about. Even small collapsible pruning saws can be surprisingly sharp and effective, and can manage quite thick branches, as can be found on shrubs at least. Quite serviceable models of both were available from Wickes, at least two years or so ago.

michael adams

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

If it is only relatively small stuff do you really need a power tool? The speed and simplicity of use of such things as bowsaws provided they have a good quality blade is something that seems to have been forgotten in recent times, its got that almost no task can be done unless a power tool is involved.

GH

Reply to
Marland

+1 The cheap (£5) folding saws often available in Aldi/Lidl are suprisingly good for cutting down shrubs and tree branches of up to 4+ inches diameter, especially the saws where the teeth have been set for green wood.

alan_m

Richard

Or if that doesn?t have enough power for you...

Or to double it...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+