What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?

Ah, yes, I suppose that would be OK[ish]. A Quinetic switch with an indicator of some sort seems the best solution so far.

Reply to
Chris Green

no good if you're away from home, You need a surveillance camera to tell you what you've done.

Reply to
charles

So your experience is limited, who knew?

Perhaps I need a "tongue in cheek" flag?

(and the "hose off" bit on some projects is a rather grim and sad reality - I recall one installation of several mil spec workstations in the back of a 4 tonne army truck that would be expected to operate not far behind a front line ans so was considered vulnerable to chemical and biological attack. It was designed such that you could open the drain gates, and apply a high pressure hose to the top of it. All the kit had to be IP68 or better)

As to reliable, much depends on your definition of reliable. Yup its physically robust, and built with high reliability components, but it general is only slightly less likely (if at all) to have bugs than commercial kit.

The software for it is developed, designed and documented to far higher standards than commercial kit. And its well tested, and usually far more maintainable. However it also suffers from a much smaller user base in many cases, and often relies on tool chains that have a vastly smaller user bases than more traditional desktop development tools. So it can take longer to find and fix issues than in the commercial world.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the small round pin 5 amp sockets that MK still sell (and still legal I believe) that are wired as a radial circuit through a light switch. This allows all your standard lamps, side lamps etc to be switch off with one switch.

Don't some European countries have this installed as standard ?.

Reply to
Andrew

if by limited you mean years in the industry then yes

Sadly it can be. However I don't believe any of the equipment I worked on or with or even just saw was hoseable.

but a lot is not

It's certainly better than domestic retaill stuff, no doubt. But still long term reliability varies a lot. Engineering for reliability is not as easy as it looks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Military kits is allowed to use leaded solder ;-)

Reply to
charles

I reckon one of the most important differences is vibration-proofing

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually mandated rather than just allowed in some cases...

Reply to
John Rumm