what openreach do when installling fibre BB?

Get with the program(me), it's not called Hotmail anymore.

Reply to
Graham.

Correct. The main reason for the increase in speed is the shorter run of copper.

And they install a modem in your premises.

Reply to
Mark

That coupled with a different modulation scheme. ADSL 2+ would still max out at 24Mb/sec even if the copper pair were only 10m long.

"install" might be over egging the description... plug in perhaps

(the need for the VDSL filter to be installed as a layer inside the NTE5 is more of an issue)

Reply to
John Rumm

And a local council round here is looking at cutting that funding as there're skint;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

IIRC VDSL is optimized for short copper lengths.

Fix it to the wall probably counts as 'install'. For the novice it would be helpful for them to plug it in etc.

Indeed.

Reply to
Mark

Is that any different from the filtered faceplate[1] which I currently have?

[1] Think I got it from Solwise rather than Clarity - but I think they're all basically the same.
Reply to
Roger Mills

It's different from the ADSL one AFAIK. On my NTE5 they installed two new parts.

Reply to
Mark

Well to the extent you only get the full 70 odd Mbps out to about 400 m of pair length from the cabinet. By around 1 km it's not much better than ADSL2+ at 3km all of the modulation schemes are much of a muchness at less than 8 Mbps. The "universal access" *minimum* speed of 2 Mbps occuring at about 5 km (a shade over 3 miles), not very far when the "local end" in rural areas can be double that...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I know plenty of people who think that the whole internet is only websites.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Slightly - its a more sophisticated filter in the first place, and the method of installation is slightly different in that it goes between the back and front of the NTE5 rather than just replacing the lower half of the front. It makes the whole socket a bit deeper than previously.

Reply to
John Rumm

add to that the conversations I have had that have started "our internet it not working!", I then ask "What about email?" and they say oh yes that is fine ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

a couple of years ago, when pikeys stole our underground telephone cable, I heard more than one person complaining that "not only is the phone not working, but the internet isn't either."

Reply to
charles

That's depends on whether BT has moved the exchange out to the cabinets. They do have the option of terminating the copper in the cabinet and taking it back to an exchange over the fibre (or 2M copper) or converting to VoIP and not actually having a real local exchange at all.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps slightly more understandable since having one fail and not the other is not uncommon.

Reply to
John Rumm