what openreach do when installling fibre BB?

If she is moving *to* TT, then it might be a good deal longer than two weeks!

Reply to
John Rumm

that is what she is discovering.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

BT's mail system was terrible under Yahoo! I don't know what the new provider is like.

Anybody with any sense doesn't but the vast majority of the population wouldn't have a clue how to even start avoiding the use of their ISPs mail system. Let alone debug it to work around any restrictions that the ISP imposes...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True enough. Well, via using your own domain etc. But increasing numbers of people use web mail services. Certainly, it's what I would recommend to someone who just wanted a nice easy to use email service

Reply to
chris French

the all use gmail instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AFAIK it's still yahoo but ICBW.

A lot of people don't even know that *can* use a different email service.

Reply to
Mark

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Reply to
Mark

I rather suspect that the concept of hotmail and gmail has penetrated the vast majority of even the most casual internet users by now.

Reply to
Adrian

like.

YAW:

Now provided by Critical Path based in California.

This is true and the ISPs don't like it known either as having an ISP provided email address and having to change it if you change ISP is part of them locking customers in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I rather suspect that you are overestimating the knowledge and skill levels of the vast majority of internet users by several orders of magnitude.

Reply to
Huge

I would have thought most people (most still leaves a big chunk who might not) are aware of it at least. Certainly younger people probably think of it first (in fact they probably are rather hazy on the idea of alternatives.

Reply to
chris French

To backtrack a bit, to the original topic, does anyone know where voice and BB get combined when you go to FTTC?

AIUI, with ordinary ADSL, your copper wires connect to both the voice and internet networks in the exchange. With FTTC, does the fibre carry voice as far as the cabinet, or do you still have a copper wire going all the way to the exchange?

Reply to
Roger Mills

And I can't believe how many companies, even some quite large ones, still use BT Internet, or Yahoo, gmail, etc. email addresses - often plastered all over their vehicles, premises, stationery, web sites, etc.

Quite understandable as a temporary or hidden address - but not the one you shout to the world.

Reply to
polygonum

Correct.

Reply to
Andy Burns

you still have a copper wire going all the way to the exchange

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lucky man, 2yrs ago BT told me Feb 2013 .... now its moved out to Mar 2015

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Enabling our exchange the date slipped back 3 months every 3 months on the date it was supposed to happen, eventually after 4 aborted attempts they met the date, now there are fibre enabled cabs on the exchange, but none in this village and BT have decided the cab serving my road is not commercially viable, so we have to wait for the county funded scheme ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think they told me 'when Jupiter aligns with Mars, and King Farage resurrects Diana'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I meet plenty who have no concept of mail other than as a web based service...

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the answer to that is "yes" - the fibre connects the broadband to your copper pair at the cabinet, but you still have a copper pair going back to the exchange for the voice service

(possibly one of the reasons for needing an engineer visit when moving to FTTC - your pair needs locating at the cabinet rather than just at the exchange).

Reply to
John Rumm