what laminate worktop?

hello everyone

I was wondering if someone could recommend a particular type/brand/manufacturer (I hope I am not breaking the rules here) of laminate kitchen worktops available in UK. I want something to last and be scratch-resistant. are gloss ones better or worse in that respect?

the reason why I don't consider anything else is because I want to install the worktop myself and I don't like solid wooden worktops.

there is a minor problem that I will be using IKEA units (60cm deep) and in order to get a bit of overhang I have to buy 67cm deep worktop and trim it to ~62cm.

thanks very much in advance for any ideas and recommendations.

/max

Reply to
maxim naumov

I'm not convinced there's much (anything?) to choose between the quality of different comparable laminated worktops, but maybe others think differently.

One thing's for sure though; the gloss laminates are a total nightmare for scratching and scuffing, both in terms of fitting them without damage and in normal use afterwards. If you can't afford or don't want granite, then I'd avoid gloss like the plague (unless possibly for a refurbishment prior to a house sale).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Use 19mm chipboard and cover with a 6-8mm thick slate top. Polish flat with a Terrazzo (sp?) machine and install.

Reply to
RW

You could just fit the units 50mm further forward. This would give you two benefits.

- Deeper worktop = more space.

- No need to trim worktop.

When I did the kitchen in my last house I bought the deepest worktops I could (and would fit in my kitchen) to give me as much worktop space as poss.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Okay, I'll start by saying I promise that I'm in no way related to the company or anything like that, but I can completely recommend Pfleiderer Duropal Worktops. When I was trying to source worktops for my kitchen I went and inspected pretty much every source of them I could find and after lots of recommendations and head scratching this one came out as the winner.

If you go to their website they allow you to request samples of the worktops so you get a good idea of the end result. I do remember that finding a supplier was a bit of a PITA but after a little white lie to a trade only supplier in London I managed to come out tops.

So far after 3 years there's hardly any surface scratches, no warping, no issues of the laminate lifting off even in the high steam areas (dishwasher mostly) and the only real damage is from when the wife dropped a large and heavy pestle and mortar from one of the wall cupboards.

Hope this helps a little.

Seri

Reply to
Seri