Repairing Laminate Worktop

Folks,

Does any one have any recommendations for the repair of a laminate worktop where a piece about the size of a 2p piece has flaked off. I see a few products and services but has any one successfully used one of these.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

David Wade snipped-for-privacy@dave.invalid wrote

I'd be checking why if flaked off, whether it is a local manufacturing defect or whether the entire thing may well keep flaking off even if you successfully fix the bit that has done so now.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

you could get coloured laminate joint glue which are used to join two worktops so that you had an internal corner and an nearly invisible join without resortting to a aluminium covering strip.

I believe it was called colorfill.

It MAY be possible to get an off cut of identical laminate, drill using a holesaw a circular "cork" peice and use that to patch up the damage in the original laminate. you probably will have to also drill a circular hole using a forstner bit in the original worktop so that you have a shall hole to pop the "cork" into and bed down with colourfill.

Another alternative is to get in corian sheet thats about 5 mm thick and build a new worktop over the existing worktop (They are normally formed on a chipboard core.) and a speacial treatment is used to make invisble joins between all the various corian pieces. This will not be cheap though.

Reply to
SH

It is, I've used it to fill mitred joins, it's not the easiest to apply, I wouldn't fancy trying to get a smooth surface of 2p size, is worktop plain colour or patterned?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Put a plate or something over it. Then let buyers view the house.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Its a fake slate pattern. (Its not my work top). I think the main concern is to prevent further deterioration.

It has an inset sink so a corian skimming does not appear practical.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Is not the whole finish and pattern included in the piece that flakes off, you can often see this along raw edges. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If matching edge trim is available you could probably cut a bit in with a sharp Stanley knife.

Reply to
Les Battersby

If you have a bit of matching laminate (you can often get strips of it to cover cut edges), then it is possible you inlay a small section with a router jig (either commercial or home made[1])

However you will still likely be able to see the sharp pattern transition at the edge. You may also see a change in lustre if the worktop has been in use for while - its shine may have dulled a little.

For a more invisible you may have to go with a partial fill with a coloured base layer of resin, then hand touch in the pattern, and a final clear resin cap.

[1] I did have a go at a DIY router inlay jig:

John Rumm