What is this stuff under the paint.

Had this in a mid 1900's house. Or something that sounds very much like it.

Along with what others have recommended, I found that Ronstrip (or similar caustic soda type paste stripper[1] ) removed mine reasonably well, with the proviso that such stripper may raise the wood's grain.

[1] Made my own Ronstrip for the job from caustic soda (careful when adding that to water - it *can* blow up in your face as the act of dissolving caustic soda is *highly* exothermic. Go slow and check the temperature and wear goggles) and builder's lime. Not as good, but very cheap.

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

Didn't you know that he knows everything?

Or thinks he does ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I would not be too quick to follow the advice given so far. Pine resin based wood treatment is especially effective, and any that is still sound I would want to leave in place.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

Could you please stop using Google Groups? It's seriously broken; your posts are showing up as new threads in my newsreader. A very good free news server can be found at .

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It wouldn't matter so much if you weren't using a broken newsreader ;-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

  1. NT's Google posts have no References: headers, so are treated correctly as new threads.
  2. Look at my headers: if you think Turnpike is broken, you're wrong.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jasper.org.uk:

Mine too, (Xnews) and if NT is a recent refugee from btinternet newsserver like me, individual's the place to go

mike

Reply to
mike ring