What is the equivalent of a cable gland for a pipe called?

I need to run some 10mm copper pipe through some steel bulkheads on a boat, I need the equivalent of some cable glands but I'm not sure what they're called really. Can anyone advise please.

I *could* use cable glands (I have some suitable size ones already) and in fact they might be better where I want a bit of give but there's a couple of places where I want the pipe to be rigidly held in place.

In fact a fitting where one side is 10mm compression and the other side is a screw fitting of some sort would be perfect for a couple of places because one side of the bulkhead will be 10mm copper and the other side will have a flexible connected to it.

Reply to
tinnews

See bulkhead couplings at the bottom of page

Andrew Gabriel

grommet?

use a bush of some sort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This reminds me... I'll soon be taking two runs of 32mm diameter MDPE water pipe through the house wall, under the DPC. Since drilling a figure-of-8 shaped hole is a bit impractical I guess it will have to be two fairly close together holes, maybe with the bits of brick between knocked out to make a roughly oval hole.

Certainly if the hole is oval, and probably if it's two adjacent holes (which will probably be 38mm diameter, I think that the size of core bit I have) there's going to be potential for small amounts of movement of the pipes at the point where they pass through the wall. The pipes will be buried outside in clay under paving slabs, but only after the hole through the wall is made and filled. Inside the cellar they'll be coming through the wall a foot or two above the solum and maybe three feet below the joists of the floor of the room above. I suspect I'll use some 2x2 dropped down from the joists above to provide mechanical support to the pipes a few feet from the wall.

What should I fill the gap around the pipes with? Ready-mix "instant" cement, or expanding foam, or cement on the outer wall and foam on the inner one? Or something else?

(I could use a sock if only I knoew where the old ones have gone...)

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts