What is considered good space around kitchen island

I'm in the middle of designing the kitchen layout for our new house. I would like some considered views on what is an acceptable space around the island where my wife (and I??) will do the cooking. This will have an impact on the width of the island itself. I have allowed 1200mm between the cooking side and the worktop & oven behind which I am happy about. To the side of the island is the sink and dishwasher. It is this side which I am worried about. I have

2400mm to play with (gap between sink and island + width of island). My concern is that we will need a decent sized food preparation area beside the cooker but if I take too much then the dishwasher door (when opened) will block this passageway to the side of the island. I've been trying to compromise between these two issues. I've seen some designs in magazines with a gap of just 850mm between the worktop and island (with dishwasher in the same place as mine) but it does look very tight

I've been thinking of

1300mm Island Width (with 800mm 5 Ring Gas hob) plus 1100mm Gap to Worktop

What do you think of this? Could I make the island wider? Is the food prep area just too small?

Any opinions/recommendations would be appreciated

Reply to
Sean

Can two people pass each other comfortably and not have to squeeze past and interrupt each other working with knifes ?

Reply to
BigWallop

We planned a new kitchen last year, and my wife dragged me kicking and screaming to Wickes kitchen dept to use their free design service.

The sycophantic creep in the shop plugged all key dimensions into his design software. He asked all kinds of intelligent questions came up with a good design incorporating a breakfast bar. We walked out later with all kinds of plans and 3D rendered drawings, all for free.

We were so impressed with the service and the kitchen choice that we ordered within a couple of days. We got a pro kitchen fitter in early this year and are very happy indeed.

  • So the moral is go to a kitchen designer for a "free" design and quote.
  • And for goodness' sake do NOT get stainless steel appliances (every time I see a stainless refridgerator I imagine it's full of twitching organs in kidney dishes).

ps. search on this group for the word "Wickes". There are plenty of horror stories too.

David

Reply to
Vortex