Western Power Distribution, interruption of supply. Replacement of an old 2 phase incoming overhead mains cable

actually I wouldn't be surprised if they were not available. I had the misfortune to try one once. It wasn't just that it was 'white' whereas I like coffee black. It was not something I would use unless there was no alternative. the way bluebell is is behaving it occurred that it might well be the absence of morning caffeine that was really exercising her. In which case..

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

5 am! I should be so lucky. Around here even the seagulls have given it up by 5. The joys of Scotland by the sea. Guy I know lives in the city, aka seagull cliffside heaven, complains bitterly about them. Apparently the sound echoes around those caverns much more than out here in suburbia.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Assuming the power isn't also out for your local hub ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

well in our case its 'lets leave the kettle permanently on the aga in case we need a cup off coffee.

One of the reasons that swung me in favour if the aga was that it is capable of working entirely without electricity in manual mode, and will still heat at least one room, and cook dinner and make tea as well.

Likewise we have three solid fuel fires as qwell. That's something to do. Light the fires and stare at them. It's better than reality TV. Less predictable and more encouraging.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We've got a widescreen one :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Our potbelly in NZ was good for keeping a cofee or teapot warm. Made popcorn too. Heated a long knocked through lounge, dining kitchen with a high stud and big bay windows too.

One of the problems with the potbelly, not very visually interesting.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

On Wed, 23 May 2007 13:05:28 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.ruk (Peter Ashby) wrote this:-

Presumably the batteries and standby set in the telephone exchange will keep that end of the link going for those with A/SDSL.

Whether this will work with the new idea of putting the gubbins in the green boxes in the street rather then the exchange I have no idea, but I suspect it will because they will be powered from the exchange.

Reply to
David Hansen

Wonder how it works with cable then. Mind you the only laptop in the place has an almost useless battery and is run from the power socket all the time.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Certainly did recently for us. The UPSes do about 40 minutes, so we didn't rush to shut down as I was halfway through something tricky.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yonks ago; when the street was being 'cabled' and yoofs with gold bangles (pretend marketteers0 were trying to sign up people for telephony (..it's all fibre to yer fone ... ) . I asked about the .. 'where does the volts come from? ..) - eventually an engineer told me that each 'green box' has a battery floating across the mains - in the event of a mains failure there was sufficient oomph to power the supported devices for n (thirty?) minutes and that the company had a stock of petrol-electric generator that would be distributed throughout the streets in the event of a long mains failure - he mentioned that it was a statutory duty for the cable company to get 'mains' onto the green boxes. BTW; the cable franchisee has long gone- been bought by somebody else and is now 'Virgin ... ' or somesuch

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

No, I rely on it for cups of tea for me - to wake me up and keep me going. Of course as a man I dont expect you to understand that. I dont do " pot noodle and breakfast bars". WE have a healthier lifestyle than that. I do sausages warmed in the oven either - too much fat. and I dont do coffee.

Maybe I am one stroppy bitch who is just pissed off with electric companies telling me to do their bidding as if I am " just a housewife" and can be there turn of the century style ( 1900 that is). Obviously a view shared by most men here.

Reply to
bluebell

I have stored water, but I have no cooker or other appliance that is not electric and the shower runs on electric not from the tank.

Reply to
bluebell

Get by, except we dont have them anymore. They altered the wiring two years ago and since then nothing.

There is a big difference between a situation caused by nature and writing me a letter telling me that they will jyust turn the power off at their own bidding.

Especially since I have now been told they may or may not come ( when I asked if the could be more reasonable and come at 6.30) at all on that morning. Its just a letter they send out to lots of folk like me and then arrange the times to suit themselves afterwards. It may be 8.00 am or after when they reach me, even though the letter says six/ eight. Apparently they dont even start work that early - so why send a letter saying that?

And they do not need entry to the house. .

Reply to
bluebell

So any pissed off bitch who gets fed up with utilities demanding and setting their own times as if I have nothing else to do is a troll?

If men went to work and women stayed at home, instead of men expecting women to work and run a home, I might not be so pissed off.

Reply to
bluebell

Obviously. So why reply?

Reply to
bluebell

Except there is nothing wrong with it. It was checked months back and the bloke said I was low priority because there were many far worse and considered more dangerous ( one house in the village has an overhead cable coming in at 3ft and he lifts it up to get out of his door. Mine is fine .

Maybe I should get over it, but I cant. cal;l it PMT but frankly its because I am fed up of the responsibility of always working round other people.

Reply to
bluebell

Because someone with a hint of blondle or dyslexia typed in the times incorrectly.

Shit happens.

Yes, it can be a pain Yes, they're entitled to do it No, the odds are you can't have a generator

Get over it.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

No I hadn't. The phone line is 9.00 am to 4.00 pm. I work 7.00 am to 7.00 pm.

I got through this afternoon and was told they may or may not even bother to come even though they sent out the notice.

Reply to
bluebell

I doubt that, I'd welcome it. I wouldnt have to keep worrying.

Reply to
bluebell

Ah yes, now you play the 'we are all sexist pigs' charge. I think you really need to get over yourself and have a reality check. For the sake of your kids if nothing else. Kids can tell if their parents are on top of things or not, if you make a big drama out of it you will simply make your kids insecure. Grow up, read the practical commonsense advice you have been given and get down and deal with it, instead of making excuses for your problems.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby