Western Power Distribution, interruption of supply. Replacement of an old 2 phase incoming overhead mains cable

================================== I assume that this hostile reply, clearly directed at the wrong respondent, is further proof of your inability to organise your thoughts and your life. If you had taken the trouble to read and digest the post to which you replied you would have seen *my* reply.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Then you shouldn't need to rely on electricity for one isolated breakfast time. If you really can't do without the tea, get a flask.

It's irrelevant whether you are a man or a woman. You are just being unreasonable. They want to replace the cable for the first time in 50 years, so that in the long term you won't have problems with an unscheduled failure - which could be a lot more inconvenient for you, anyway. Perhaps what you're really after is com-pen-say-shun, as with so many these days.

It's just once. Get over it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 23 May 2007 09:25:25 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

I thought they were removed from the market due to safety issues? I thought they were great, once my Mum stopped making my butties and flask for work I had to live off cans of coke and petrol station sandwiches. The cans of coffe were great for me. :)

Reply to
Lurch

On Wed, 23 May 2007 13:23:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher mused:

I have a 1KVA and 1.5KVA UPS here, it runs all the routers and wireless access points over PoE, runs the PC in the office and all the servers. The batteries on the laptops do reasonably well, but as I've got the extension lead from the UPS to the telly I can still just plug it in if required. I wouldn't even notice a powercut.

Reply to
Lurch

I hadn't heard that...they just disappeared as far as I was concerned. They weren't great, but I used to keep a couple in the car in case of need. I did have one that leaked (from the heating compartment) but otherwise they were OK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think they're still available from Army meals suppliers. The US army were using self-heating meal packs on "cooking in the danger zone" in Afghanistan.

I can't remember where I worked that involved petrol station sandwiches, but I can remember the sandwiches. :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That does not really make any sense does it? Just because others are worse than yours, does not make your "good" by any stretch of the imagination. It sounds like we are talking about a 50 - 60 year old (probably PBJ insulated) incomer. This is going to be getting to the stage where insulation failure is a real possibility, and it is more than likely going to be inadequate for modern electricity usage - especially in an "all electric" house.

Reply to
John Rumm

Every time we have had a power cut the DSL has stayed up just fine....

although the last one we had let me know that the UPS self test does not always detect when the batteries are due for replacement! ;-(

Reply to
John Rumm

Ooooh clever you. How did you manage that? I have the electricity board coming next week to replace my meter. I am told it's only a 15 minute job but they will only tell me that it will be some time between 8:00 and 4:00 so I am going to have to take a whole day off work. How did you manage to get them to come earlier? If I could do the same then they would be finished by the time I leave and I could save myself a days holiday for something more interesting. Well worth any inconvenience.

Reply to
Andrew

welcome to the real world. oh Sheltered One.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 24 May 2007 01:51:32 -0700, Andrew mused:

I wouldn't bother, I'd just go to work. They want to change the meter, they can come when it's convenient, or at least give you a more accurate time. If they can get you in for first job then they can be at yours for 8-9 and you only need to drop into work a bit late rather than taking a whole day off.

Reply to
Lurch

well there you go then.

get a ladder and grab the cables and play 'Me Jane, you Tarzannnnnnnnnnnnnn!'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps I should have qualified that to say that they are coming at my request since I have just had the consumer unit replaced, the old storage heater consumer unit removed and since I no longer have a cupboard under the stairs to house the meter want to get rid of as much of the gubbins as possible to facilitate a much smaller cupboard.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

And how long do the batteries in the UPS's last? The 7AHr ones in mine will keep just the iPABX up for about 6 hours or the PCs for 5 mins.

Always assuming the transmitter for your telly isn't affected by the power failure as well... You don't mention a satellite box so that means either an iDTV or analogue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:00:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" mused:

Never done an extended run test tbh, but I think the batteries are due for a change so I might do that first. ;)

Currently the PC has the 1.5KVA UPS to itself and the switch\servers and PoE devices are on the other. I could power the PC and servers down if required, but generally we only get powercuts for reasonably brief periods.

Worst case though, I'd just do like I did pre-UPS's, fire the suitcase generator up.

Sony iDTV complete with useless EPG, so the digibox is needed for that bit really, and I don't think the satellites will be affected by a powercut so we'll be fine.

Reply to
Lurch

On 24 May 2007 07:42:10 -0700, Andrew mused:

Ah. That makes my reply useless then, very sorry about that.

Reply to
Lurch

That's partly true, but he doesn't have the detail correct. There is a mains supply with backup at the cabinet where the fibre transitions to copper. However, there are often 1-2 further tiers of green boxes downstream of the main distribution cabinet. These have amplifiers which are powered through the cable with (IIRC) 48V DC. He's right that they do have a legal obligation to maintain service for 112 emergency calls.

Reply to
Andy Hall