welding

as a complete beginner,can you say which is the easiest method for me,arc,or mig gasless,many thanks

Reply to
leedsbob

mig gasless, with a cheap self darkening visor

Reply to
newshound

gasless wire, no contest. Arc is much cheaper but takes more skill to use, and creates lots of cleanup work. Well suited to large quantities of rough work Oxyacetylene isnt as easy, has various issues to do with safety, and buying the gas is a pain

NT

Reply to
meow2222

While we're here, whats the deal with stainless steel welding? I may need to do a load of this soon, and have never welded ss. Is it problematic, is gasless ss wire available?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

many thx for replies to prevoice post,it seems as a beginner the advice is to go for gassless mig,can anyone rccomend an entry level welder and which to avoid,many thanks again

Reply to
leedsbob

================================== Have a browse here for some idea of prices and features:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Only because you restricted the choice, I'd advise coogar and mig for a beginner to learn with and CO2 and mig if you just want something available for occasional use, avoiding the costs of bottle rental.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Search the archives of this ng.

Read the excellent, albeit largely American, sci.engr.joining.welding

There's little to choose in skill between MIG, gasless wire-feed or manual stick. That's just not why you choose.

Stick's for thick stuff, it's no use for thin stuff. That's your lot. If you need it, then use it (and spend more time learning it than for MIG)

MIG's great for thin stuff, not as quick for thick. Easy to learn (if you do it right, you do need to read up a bit)

I prefer gas MIG, but then that's with a 500 quid machine and a rented cylinder of real shield gas. Pub CO2 is worthless. Gasless is a lot better at a comparable price (bottle rental is steep), but the trouble with low-end welders (

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IMLE welders often dont go low power enough, and there is a tendency to sell on the basis of bigger numbers, bigger than are neeeded.

NT

Reply to
meow2222