Weight of wall cabinet

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@proxy02.news.clara.net:

For American:

Gauge number = (diameter - 0.056) / 0.01325

Seems to work quite well but I can see no logic whatsoever! The values are just under 1/18 and just under 1/76. Any sense to that?

0 0.056 0 1 0.069 0.981132075 2 0.082 1.962264151 3 0.096 3.018867925 4 0.109 4 5 0.122 4.981132075 6 0.135 5.962264151 7 0.149 7.018867925 8 0.162 8 9 0.175 8.981132075 10 0.188 9.962264151 11 0.201 10.94339623 12 0.215 12
Reply to
Rod

Rod typed

Have another gauge for your amusement: French Gauge (FG). This is used for medical catheters, such as urinary catheters and chest drains.

Circumference in millimetres = French Gauge

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Have you seen those condom fitting things? Like a pasta portioner - a strip of plastic with holes in.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

No. Have you seen an orchidometer? They are used to assess puberty progress...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Guy King contains these words:

You started it with your pointless post. You upped the ante with your cod apology and dyslexia insult and continued with your tantrum smokescreen. I merely responded appropriately. Don't you think you are being just a tad selfish in wanting both the first and the last word?

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

Yup, I started it. If you can't take people picking holes in spelling without getting upset then usenet might not be the place for you. I even apologised, which I presumed would be an end to it, but you're not up to accepting an apology.

The apology wasn't "cod", it was meant sincerely. I really thought the comment about not understanding the problem was a referrence to your not being able to spell. I don't always get it right either, but when people point it out I generally just say "Ooops". If you get that worked up about a very minor bit of gently applied criticism, the heaven help those around you.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Guy King contains these words:

And you still want the last word as well as the first.

I can easily demonstrate I have no problem with people pointed out a spelling mistake (unlike those who claim dyslexia as an excuse) by referring you back to The NTs post which beat you to it by several hours. I let his post pass without comment despite his rather naughty insertion in my text without the use of square brackets.

Likewise I am happy to accept an apology if I think it is genuine but insincere apologies merely fan the flames.

The subtleties of the English language appear to have passed you by.

Consider:

"Sp!!" - Translation "You spelt it wrong, stupid."

"Don't you mean 'shear'?" - Translation "I think you meant 'shear', stupid, but I am leaving my options open just in case you didn't."

"Do you mean shear?" - Translation " You could have meant 'shear' but my money is on you being clueless and talking rubbish" or alternatively "I am a clueless and want confirmation of a very basic fact".

It was blindingly obvious I meant 'shear' but you weren't content to let it go as a simple spelling error. You just had to inject a considerable element of doubt and when I used the ambiguity of your original comment to make a comment in like vein you took umbrage.

Anyway this discussion has already gone on too long so I have decided to belatedly accept your apology in the spirit you say it was intended and to apologise in turn for doubting you. You may have the last word if you like but as far as I am concerned the subject is now closed.

Reply to
Roger