Weight of wall cabinet

I've built a wall cabinet for my kitchen and it's turned out heavier than I expected.

What is the top weight which can safely be attached to a brick internal wall ? (I was planning on using about eight 3-inch screws.)

Reply to
Bob Martin

| |I've built a wall cabinet for my kitchen and it's turned out heavier than I expected. | |What is the top weight which can safely be attached to a brick internal wall ? |(I was planning on using about eight 3-inch screws.)

My rule is about four times what I first thought of. Long screws, plastic plugs and drilling holes are all cheap and easy compared with redoing the job after something has fallen off.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Bob Martin contains these words:

To some extent it's going to be affected by how far forward the weight is. If the weight's hanging straight down, then you'd get away with half a ton easily on good brick. If it's a deep cabinet so it's trying to pull the screws /out/ instead of down then you'll get away with less.

More bigger screws spread out over a wider area will help!

Reply to
Guy King

|The message |from Bob Martin contains these words: | |> What is the top weight which can safely be attached to a brick |> internal wall ? |> (I was planning on using about eight 3-inch screws.) | |To some extent it's going to be affected by how far forward the weight |is. If the weight's hanging straight down, then you'd get away with half |a ton easily on good brick. If it's a deep cabinet so it's trying to |pull the screws /out/ instead of down then you'll get away with less. | |More bigger screws spread out over a wider area will help!

The most stress is at the *top* so more screws there.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

My rule is called "Rossification". Could my six year old swing from it when it is put up (he is called Ross by the way)? If he could then its properly put up.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

I'd fit a batten underneath the cabinet to take the downward weight, then big screws at the top to take the 'lean forward' weight. If the cupboard has heavy doors this 'lean forward' stress will be very high if they are all opened at the same time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When I first put up one of these, I used Rawlbolts!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The average kitchen wall unit full of crockery usually hangs quite nicely on two 2" x 8 screws, and that's with the plates screwed into a chipboard edge with 6 guage. All the pressure is downwards or none of them would stay on the wall.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've made some very nice oak raised-panel doors for it and I would hate to have to settle for less. I suppose as a last resort I could put support under the front of the cabinet (struts to the base cabinet beneath).

Reply to
Bob Martin

Don't get neurotic :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The message from "Gordon Hudson" contains these words:

I'm over twenty stone, and most of the things in this house /I/ can swing from! Particularly the climbing frame and swing, which I built to take grownups.

Reply to
Guy King

I now use these in many situations:

rawplug, just drill the correct undersize and the screwthread cuts into the masonry as it's put in. I can hook a pry bar under one, and hang my 75kilos off it.

Reply to
dom

|>>I'd fit a batten underneath the cabinet to take the downward weight, then |>>big screws at the top to take the 'lean forward' weight. If the cupboard |>>has heavy doors this 'lean forward' stress will be very high if they are all |>>opened at the same time. |> |> |> When I first put up one of these, I used Rawlbolts! |> | |The average kitchen wall unit full of crockery usually hangs quite |nicely on two 2" x 8 screws, and that's with the plates screwed into a |chipboard edge with 6 guage. All the pressure is downwards or none of |them would stay on the wall.

ROTFLMAO Maybe that is what the manufacturers supply. If they stay up for a year they are out of warranty. If you want things to last for 20 years multiply by four.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I've often wondered about those. Are they really that good?

The link mentions drill size 6. Is that 6mm? Do you just drill the right size hole & insert them with a drill driver?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not use a gallows bracket or similar so as not to take up work top space if you really think that you need additional support.

Legin

Reply to
legin

Thanks - that would look a bit neater.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I wouldn't go much over a ton and a half, myself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. You can hang a couple of tons on a single no 10 woodscrew.

As long as it goes in deep enough and can't pull OUT.

Key issue is to get really good deep holes with decent plugs in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

=========================== If you're still having doubts after all the suggestions think in terms of a big central heating radiator full of water. Usually four 3" screws hold them and you rarely see one falling off the wall.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thank you to Cicero and The Natural Philosopher for making me feel a lot happier !!

Reply to
Bob Martin