another bonding q - radiators not in bathroom?

hi, thanks for replies about my q about bonding the water supply.

Now, how about radiators? The CH was all copper pipe, with the pipes all bonded together at the boiler (upstairs), no other bonding. I've replaced CH pipes between upstairs and downstairs with plastic, so now the downstairs pipes and rads (just 1 in each of 2 rooms) have no connection to earth.

What's required? Anything? A bond to the pipework somewhere to earth the downstairs section? Bonds between in and out at each rad?

Bonding to the electricity supply in the room seems to be bathroom only, as far as i can see.

cheers,

rob.

Reply to
cantaloupes

Equipotential bonding only applies to bathrooms in your case. The principle being; to ensure that all relevant metalwork is at the same electrical potential, to avoid the risk of shock in this high risk area, see this article: -

John McLean

thanks. That document seems to mostly discuss bathrooms, so I wasn't sure about my case.

so, to be clear: i have 2 steel radiators in separate rooms, connected to each other with copper pipe but isolated from the rest of the system by plastic pipe, and no bonding is required.

cheers,

rob.

Reply to
cantaloupes

On 21 May 2006 01:15:01 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

The pipes to the radiators presumably run where you cannot see them and it may be the case that an electric cable is slowly melting against one of the pipes out of sight and out of mind.

I would make a connection between the start and finish of the sections of plastic pipe, using the same size of cable as is used on the bonding to the heating system.

Reply to
David Hansen

You need to do nothing.

Christian.