Wax on windscreen - test

ObPedant: "5 words or fewer"

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Somehow I think they knew that and were being a tad tongue in cheek.

Reply to
soup

Absolutely correct. Note what time it was :o)

Reply to
Jim Scott

I don't know of any wax that is soluble in alcohol, and it would be difficult to keep cellulose thinners off the seal, which it would probably attack

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I spoke with Triplex about this after a garage waxed my windscreen and I couldn't see out of it when it rained. The answer is that it's difficult because the wax still makes the water bead when there's only a single molecule thickness, and it forms a weak bond with the glass which makes it hard to get it all off, but not impossible.

Method is: First remove and discard windscreen wipers, which once waxed, will keep transferring it back onto the glass. Next, using white spirit and kitchen roll, keep washing the windscreen and using new dry sheets to wipe the white spirit off each time. Expect to use a whole roll, mostly for the wiping off process. Work methodically over the entire surface, being careful not to recontaminate the area you cleaned. Finally, fit new wiper blades.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Easy, traffic film remover. Read the instructions on the container though - and then follow them.

Reply to
Peter Parry

PM me with your address and I'll send you a free sample of a windscreen washer additive that will, in a very short time, clear wax from your screen.(I haven't yet got retail packaging sorted)

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Add Clearalex (from Halfords) to washer water - takes a few days but very good at keeping screen clear of traffic filn in general use

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Sound like a great idea when half the windscreen wash usually sprays over the roof.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's here without the X.

Anyhoo it's now 12.37 on Saturday morning and nobody came up with wet newspapers (old type wot makes your hands mucky). Works a treat.

Thanks to all who advised. First thing tomorrow I have to try T-cut to get those grinder marks off :o)

Reply to
Jim Scott

Claybar, cleanest screen ever!

Reply to
TonyK

Any water based fine abrasive should work. Some say toothpaste is as good as anything. I used Farecla (paint cutting compound) to remove some paint overspray from one door window and it removed the greasy fingerprints etc as well. So T-Cut should also be fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't if the jets are adjusted correctly!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Reply to
mogga

Adjust them to wet the whole screen at motorway speeds and you're bound to get some overspray at town speeds.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The washers don't have to wet the whole screen, just anywhere within reach of the wipers, which then spread the solution around. Works for me, anyway, at any speed. But it used not to - I recognise the problem you describe as a 1970s problem, and perhaps the difference is that the cars I have nowadays pump a much greater volume of fluid onto the screen. And the screens are more raked, I think.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That'll teach me to drive crap old^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hclassic cars then :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Trouble is all modern screens are laminated glass and rather soft. If you don't flood the screen before wiping they'll get scratched, eventually. Toughened ones weren't so soft. And most modern cars don't allow the washers to be used independant of the wipers to soak the screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, interesting. Do you know any on-line resource mentioning that?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One that tells you the laminated ones are made from toughened glass with a plastic sandwich like they are?

Reply to
dennis