Water repellent

I'm planning to paint the gable end of my Victorian terrace with siliconce water repellent to stop penetrating damp. Anyone any experience of this?

I'm looking at some repellent from Sovereign which is meant to be good. Best applied with a coarse droplet low pressure spray.If I'm hiring one of these from HSS, what exactly am I looking for?

Any other tips would be great.

Reply to
kev007

If you're scampering around on ladders, it might be better to use a back-pack garden sprayer. Will have to be discarded afterwards, but offers advantages re portability & simplicity.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , kev208 @gmail.com thought we might be interested in the following...

I imagine you'll need to ask for a coarse droplet, low pressure spray...

:-)

Or as someone else suggested, one of these :

consistency is the repellent? HSS have these listed as spayers :

Tx2

Yes, lots, and the main thing that causes it is cracked pointing...don't waste money on a fast cure like waterseal unless the pointing is 100% perfect as it will very likely make it worse. Water hits the brickwork and flows downwards, obviously. some of it soaks into the face of the brick, so during light rain, hardly any will run down the wall - if the pointing has cracked and failed in the horizontal joints, the water seeps through, soaking the inner brickwork behind your plaster. If you apply a waterseal, *no* water will soak into the brick face and all of it will come through the mortar - get it repointed first and allow a few weeks for the mortar to completely cure and for most of the retained water to evaporate, then apply the waterseal, although it probably won't be required.

As the others have suggested, a garden sprayer would suffice - you don't have to do it with a sprayer at all, it's just that more will get wasted than if you do it with a brush and then you'll have to go and buy more, hence the reccomendation. The consistency of it is similar to turps, IE, like piss - if you do it on a windy day with a sprayer, it'll be all over the place

Reply to
Phil L

I've applied it with a cheap garden sprayer. Balancing how much its pumped up with unscrewing the nozzle a bit to flood the surface rather than spraying. Watch the wind if you spray, it will drift in the slightest breeze and is easily seen on cars and windows. I couldn't find any data sheets on the Sovereign site but I know some products require the surface to be kept dry for 30 days before application!. There are water based products on the market but no knowledge of them. I don't know what the BS6477 that some products meet contains.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

The pointing is pretty sound. Done a few years back and a good job.

Reply to
kev007

When spraying at height check for spray drift, on window , washing, cars and your neighbours property

Reply to
keith_765

In that case, I'd leave it until summer....this stuff has a tendency to trap moisture inside the brickwork, and also won't penetrate very deep on damp bricks...warm, dry bricks are what you want, and give it as many coats as you can get on in the day....£££ providing of course.

Reply to
Phil L

you need to read this

meow2222

I'd go for Liquid Plastics K501 rather than the Sovereign stuff:

JellyBelly

I totally agree. I used to work for Liquid Plastics many years ago and was forever going to view failed silicone treated walls. The problem with silicones is that they sit on the surface and do not penetrate the substrate. All exposed substrates degrade over time. The silicone degrades with it. The LPL K 501 penetrates to about 2-3mm (including mortar) according to the porosity of the substrate at the time of application, (best used after a dry summer)..

We used to walk away from failed silicone treatments as they stayed waterproof in some places and prevented K501 penetrating. The remaining siliconed areas would eventually fail and Liquid Plastics would get the blame. Moral dont use silicone!

I no longer work for LP but have the highest respect for their products.

Reply to
Merryterry

IIRC the Sovereign products are based on siloxanes. Unlike silicone, they don't form a film, but stay as rubbery pellets which are apparently carried further into the brickwork by water.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Nobody *needs* to read this. Don't be so bloody pompous. In any case it just seems like a repeat of what you utter on here, with the same reluctance to discuss anything logically

Reply to
Stuart Noble