Replacing steel with mdpe water main, stopcock in footpath.

I've read previous postings on this topic but I have heard conflicting information so would like some current opinions.

Domestic water flow is poor (shower pretty much stops if someone flushes the toilet) but pressure is good (about 7 bar I think) so I'm presuming the culprit is our ancient steel supply pipe from the stop c*ck. Plan is to replace existing steel with 25mm MDPE.

I've given up on finding any sort of contractor to do anything, I phoned about a dozen regarding laying the pipe + quite a lot of rainwater drains/soakaway and only managed to get 1 to even come out to quote and he obviously decided it wasn't worth his while and I never heard from him again. I'm planning on hiring a breaker/mini-excavator and doing-it-myself. However the stop c*ck is in the footpath at the front of the house (by about 8 inches). Now I'm not all that keen on getting involved with digging up the footpath (council permits required and visions of joggers disapearing into trench - law suits etc).

Previous posters indicated that southern water would probably do the bit from the boundary to the stop c*ck (at least for a fee). After a brief conversation with a supremely unhelpful and surly Southern Water employee it appears that they have no interest whatsoever in touching anything past the stopcock, but would probably connect it up if I did the digging.

Does anyone have any recent experience of getting Southern water to do anything past the stopcock, or failing that any recommendations for groundwork contractors around Billingshurst, West Sussex.

Any suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Kevin Chambers