Smelly floor

Hi all,

Since taking up the carpets and sanding the floors, a disadvantage I've noticed in the back half of our living room is that there is a slightly damp earthy smell drifting up from beneath. We're talking about a ground floor room in a victorian terrace, where about 18" beneath the floorboards is bare earth. I guess that previously the ratty old carpet plus underlay did a good job of stopping any air coming up through the floor.

I think that the ventilation under there is a bit below par, so I'm planning on putting another airbrick in. In the event that this doesn't solve the problem (or perhaps as well just to be safe) I was thinking of trying to seal off the underfloor compartment somehow. I had thought I could spend an unpleasant afternoon wriggling around on my back in the 18" crawlspace stapling and taping polythene sheet to the underside of the boards and joists. However, I'm now thinking that that might cause the much worse problem of a rotten floor (although there would be some ventilation from above through the gaps that the smell is now escaping through). I'm not a great fan of the mastic-in- the-gaps look, and I'm buggered if I'm lifting all the boards and relaying them to close up the gaps. I guess I could do the masticking (or maybe just taping of gaps with insulation tape) on my back from underneath? Or I could lay the taped polythene sheets on the earth itself, which would be a hell of a lot easier anyway. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

If you're going to be crawling around underneath, you might as well consider cutting sheets of celotext/kingspan to wedge in between the joists, which will insulate the floor too. I've also seen polystyrene sheets with cut/sprung edges which are designed to wedge in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think the plastic sheet on the earth with a few bricks to hold it down might be the best bet. It's certainly not going to do any harm.

IME it also pays to try and keep surface water running away from the house for the first couple of feet. Mine has a concrete "skirt" facing the prevailing weather but polythene under slabs or whatever would probably do the same thing. I expect the water table is pretty high at the moment, which doesn't help

Reply to
stuart noble