Recommendations on tile paints?

Looking for some recommendations on tile paint. Planning to do both kitchen (splash area around hob) and bathroom, so it would need to be pretty tough to stand up to repeated cleaning.

Had a quick Google and there seem to be two camps. One is the prepare, use a primer, then use one or two thin coats of tile paint; the other is to just prepare and use one coat (eg. International tile paint).

I'm always sceptical of one coat paints as they're usually a bitch to work with and give variable results, but I've never painted old tiles, so I'll reserve judgement. Any feedback from experience with either method much appreciated.

al

I prepared the tiles, then used two coats of tile paint. One would definiteley NOT have covered the ugly pattern.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Which brand did you use? Did you prime it first? Has it stood up to repeated cleaning?

al

I don't remember the brand - I bought it at B&Q. No, I didn't prime it first, the tin said it was self-priming. I thoroughly scrubbed the tiles with sugar soap. It hasn't had much cleaning yet, just wiping down with a damp micro-fibre cloth, and so far, seems fine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I painted the tiles in my bathroom shortly after moving into the place. It was intended to be a quick fix to make it look better before I got the time and money to do the job properly. The paint i used was from B&Q and was made by International... I prepared as required and put 2 coats of the paint on. It looked crap im afraid, it looked like i had brush painted the tiles - not what is supposed to happen! Six months later i ripped the whole lot out and did it properly. If its a quick fix then fair enough, if you expect it to be like having new tiles then i think you may be disappointed.

Cuprager

Hmmm ... it is meant as a quick fix, but could well land up being there for a few years. Can't look much worse than the avocado suite with matching patterned tiles though!! Perhaps International is one to stay away from then ... I've heard bad comments about them before, but have never used their proper paint (used their wood primer once, which ... well ... primes ...!).

al

I painted my bathroom tiles with emulsion (after priming). Lasted a couple or 4 years years but you really can tell they are painted.

Just finished retiling floor to ceiling with a job lot of discontinued tiles (10x8" and 10p each) and it really does look sooooo much better.

Dead cheap too.

Reply to
Geoffrey