Replacing lead water supply pipes

My son and his wife live in a Victorian terrace house that is supplied with water off a 'common' supply pipe that is feeding several houses. As a result his water pressure is abysmal and, when running a bath or having a shower, his combi boiler keeps overheating and 'tripping out'.

He has contacted United Utilities about the problem and, in common with all other water companies, they will supply a dedicated feed to the boundary of his house straight off the water main, free of charge.

Problem is, of course, that he will be responsible for the supply pipe from the boundary of his house, across the lounge and kitchen floors (solid) and up to the existing stop-c*ck. It is also, apparently, the householders responsibility to ensure that the existing lead supply pipe is capped at the point where it comes off the common supply pipe. (How on earth do you find out where that is?)

Knowing that I am a keen DIYer, he has asked me if I would be capable of installing the new supply pipe from kitchen to the new stop-c*ck outside on the pavement.

Although I am quite happy to undertake household plumbing (I've just completely replaced my bathroom, removing old airing cupboard and installing shower cubicle), I have no experience of installing supply pipes. Looking at the diagrams on the United Utilities web-site, it doesn't look that difficult - although digging down 750mm into my son's lounge floor and then cutting out through the foundations of the house does look a bit daunting.

Anyone any experience in this type of job willing to offer a view on whether this is DIY'able?

Kev

Reply to
DIY

I did not know that they would do this for free. I am sure that a water meter will be fitted if a new supply is fitted.

According to a very old man who worked for Yorkshire Water then this common supply pipe will be at the back of the house, not far from where the supply already comes in.

You would not need to dig 750mm deep inside the house. The 750mm is for outside.

Is there a way for the supply to enter the property at the front of the house and connect up to the existing cold water supply somewhere? It would need the stop tap to be in a new place but so what.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Yes it is free - and in this area (Cheshire) there is no need for a water meter to be fitted if you don't want one.

They've already been told that it's out at the front of their house in the road!

I agree that the channel I would have to cut across his lounge and into his kitchen would not need to be that deep - but I would still need to dig down that deep close to the front of the house to take the supply pipe (in conduit) out through the foundations.

It will come in from the front of the house but both the kitchen and the bathroom are at the back of the house so unfortunately it will mean a fair bit of disruption - particularly as they have a laminate floor laid in the lounge and ceramic tiles in the kitchen!

Kev

Reply to
DIY

You could bring the pipe up to ground level outside the house and then take it through the wall. It can then pass either along the wall, or in a shallow duct cut in the floor (along a side wall to minimise disruption). See this page for insulated ducting designed for this job:

-Antony.

Reply to
Antony