Water meter bills?

After moving into my new house - about £380k - Severn Trent water estimated my water bill at £40 per month. There's myself, wife, son and new baby. Washing machine on once per day (twice sometimes), ditto dish washer, three showers per day, three baths per week. Do you reckon that £40 per month sounds a lot? My old house was £170k and my water rates were £220 per year.

I heard a story that said if you have more rooms in your house than people then a meter is definitely the way to go.

Anyone got any pointers or examples?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose

The two of us used 80 cu metres of water between April 06 and September

06 (inclusive) supplied by SE Water at a cost of £94. Two (tank emptying power-) showers a day. DW maybe alternate days. Ditto washing machine, baths maybe 3 a week. House has 10 rooms. In the two previous bill periods we used 60 cu metres.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In most areas you will pay a standing charge of around 40 pounds and then use about 70 pounds of water/sewerage per person per year.

And then there's the amount that you put on the garden. I've no idea how much this could be, I don't do gardens.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , Keyser Sose wrote

Anglian water have a ready reckoner at

Their prices may be different to your suppliers prices. Your supplier may have a similar facility on their web site.

Reply to
Alan

It doesn't sound excessive to me, if based on the RV of the property. The water bill for my house based on the RV was just over £400 and that was before the last rise.

There are only two of us and since moving over to a meter, the bill is currently working out at £270. It's difficult to be precise though, with so many variables affecting consumption in each case.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

I pay about £72 a year for water by meter, 2 people shower or bath daily, washing machine and dish washer used excessively (we wash for other family members) also garden watering when the three butts run dry. Note that is simply water (Severn Trent) as we have a septic tank.

Reply to
Broadback

Just water works out at £110 the balance of £160 being waste water disposal.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

My household utilises about 75 m^3 of potable water per year. Three adults, baths /showers daily, dishwasher, washing machine, toilets, plus (washing up) and watering the garden when hose-pipe bans aren't in force; etc. etc.

The supply company charges for delivery, removal of waste and 'surface' drainage -all itemised separately - but a budget of £2 / tonne is 'close enough for Government work'.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock