water consumption

I'm just wondering how many cubic metres of water people in this group use per week or per quarter or whatever. Mine seems very low.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Living on my own, the last 12 months, August 19 to August 20, I used

57 cu.m. That included some garden watering earlier this year (with a watering can, not a hose).
Reply to
Chris Hogg

williamwright explained on 28/08/2020 :

Around 1.5 to 1.8 cubic metres per week, that's for two of us.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thanks guys. Mine is averaging less than a cubic metre per week. It just seems very low. When my wife was alive and I was nursing her it was five times that.

I checked the water meter this afternoon and it's working OK.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Thames Water used to quote 58 m3 for a mid-range single person household, 44 for low-range.

Your supplier shd have figures for your area where averages may differ - the absence of coal these days notwithstanding :)

Reply to
Robin

1.54 cubic metres/week for the 2 of us.
Reply to
The Other John

Essex and Suffolk Water quote averages of:

1 person household = 56 cubic metres per year 2 person household = 90 cubic metres per year 3 person household = 126 cubic metres per year 4 person household = 150 cubic metres per year 5 person household = 170 cubic metres per year
Reply to
alan_m

Three of us (and a garden). About 130 cu.m. per annum.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We had a new mains pipe fitted that bypassed the water meter. The connection was made by the water company.

I kept the water meter in the garage and handed it to the meter reader whenever he came. He'd note down the reading, which never changed of course, and go on his way.

Reply to
GB

I don't recall but its not that much. One also has to take into account the cost of processing waste as well, but generally on a meter its good value for money to get safe drinking water and getting rid of waste. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The latest figures I've got are from 2011 when I last lived in a house with a water meter. I was the only person in the house. Normal usage - baths and showers, washing machine. Over the course of 10 years (2001 to 2011) I averaged just under 100 litres/day - apart from one reading when the compression fitting on the outside tap had failed (strangely in July, not a winter month when the water might have frozen) and a lot of water came out before I noticed the puddle outside my lounge window.

Reply to
NY

williamwright brought next idea :

I can sometimes get that low, when on my own, especially in a week I don't take baths, just showers and I have no need to do any washing, don't wash the car, the caravan, the drive etc..

I never water the garden, use a butt for the flowers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have just checked my annual figures - I record E, G and W reading weekly in a spreadsheet. We (two of us) used 63.227 last year, this year at week 47 of 52, we are at 61.776 so probably a little more than last week.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained :

Around £23 £24 per month in God' Own Country.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
1.44 m cubed for 2 retired but with rainwater collection for garden and bogs.

The best reduction measure is, if you've got bogs with big old fashioned cisterns, to put bricks inside or replace. I wince when I visit people and see bogs from the '70's with a single huge and unnecessary flush and they're on a metered supply.

Reply to
mitch...

Most of us have a bath or a shower more often than once a season whether we need it or not.

~200l/day 34cu m in the past 6 months. Just two of us.

Reply to
AnthonyL

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com expressed precisely :

Then flush two or more times, to get a satisfactory flush. Converting to a dual flush is a better way to save water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

95 cu lites/year averaged over the last 4 years. 2 of us, showers only (no baths), no car washing, mrs is a keen gardner, so hosepipe use in dry weather (suplementing 2 water butts).
Reply to
Davidm

cubic metres, not litres !!!

Reply to
Davidm

Turning the shower water on only while it's wanted has made a huge difference. Most shower water is just wasted.

If you're keen to penny pinch there are lots of ways. Rainwater for bogs, sink & shower water for bogs & garden etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr