Water Dispersant for engines

I have been advised after boat wash down after use, to take the cover off the outboard engine, (Suzuki 200hp) and spray the gubbins with Water Dispersant spray ... this will drive off the water and leave a protective film .... the advice was to use a proper water dispersant in a hand held trigger spray, far better than WD40. The product name I was given .. SanBell DeWaterring Fluid, is no longer made ... anybody aware of any such similar product ? I have done a bit of Googling... and found a Silverhook brand

know of any other suitable product.

Rick

Reply to
tafflad

The advice obviously came from someone with little knowledge. Despite its shortcomings as a lubricant (in common with all similar compounds) WD40 is a perfectly adequate water dispersant.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The mate on the Bow something or other gave me a 5 ltr can of Deb Duck oil as a cheap alternative to wd 40 that they used on the dredger.

Well it was cheap enough for me and I still have half of it 16 years later.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Expensive though, because you have to buy it as aerosols. Duck Oil (from Contec / Deb) is in a trigger sprayer, so you get a lot more for your money.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No - RS and J&L sell WD40 in gallon bottles and it comes with a free trigger pump bottle thingummyjig

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

WD40 has been available in 5 litre containers for years. Last time I checked WD40 cost less than Duck Oil.

Reply to
Matt

I buy 5 litre bottles of WD40 from my agricultural merchant for £14.

Duck oil's not bad either, but I haven't seen in in 5 litre bottles.

Reply to
Grunff

Have you mentioned it in your will ? 5l of WD40 seems like several lifetimes' supply! Can't argue with the price though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

:-)

I'm on my second. The first one lasted about 2 years. My workshop gets quite a bit of condensation in the winter, so I use a fair bit to keep all the machines happy. One day I'll get round to insulating the roof.

Reply to
Grunff

In message , Andy Dingley writes

You can get WD40 in a trigger spray as well.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

You can get WD40 in big bottles/tins for use in trigger sprays. Any decent auto factor/hardware store will stock it.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

then I guses you'd have to be quackers to buy the duck oil

NT

Reply to
bigcat

That's not the sort of comment you hope to see on the web.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess I was just winging it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Well, I supposed it fits the bill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

End this madness, end this thread, antidy up this group.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I accepted advice of the group ...and went out and bought a 5Lit pack of WD40 - with free trigger spray. As well as main use - the outboard engine after use, all metal surfaces now well sprayed in gargage - seems goos value at =A314.00 the DEB Duck oil equivalent was =A329

Reply to
Rick

Peter - you are right of course. having followed some of the links, I now know that teh WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant ... excatly waht I wanted ... cheers.

Reply to
Rick

Peter - you are right of course. having followed some of the links, I now know that teh WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant ... excatly what I wanted ... cheers.

Reply to
Rick

Peter - you are right of course. having followed some of the links, I now know that the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant ... excatly what I wanted ... cheers.

Reply to
Rick